Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

MPulse 2008

TXKatsmomTXKatsmom Registered User Posts: 255 Junior Member
Anyone auditioning this year? D sent in DVD last week as the priority deadline was Feb 15. She wants to get in sooo badly, but we were originally going to audition on-campus (March 14/16) and were not able to secure plans, so the DVD/photos/application materials were done very rushed in order to make the deadline. Now we'll just have to wait until April to find out.
Post edited by TXKatsmom on

Replies to: MPulse 2008

• MTgrlsmomMTgrlsmom Registered User Posts: 1,034 Senior Member
    TXKatsmom - MPulse is very, very popular and competitive, and I am sure that there will be lots of applicants again this year. If I remember correctly there were something like 400 applicants last year.

My D actually has a few friends who have sent in DvD's of "questionable quality" and they were selected for MPulse. In fact, I personally think that taking into consideration the amount of time extended to the applicant on campus (all of max. 5 min.) you are much better off auditioning by DvD, unless you live in close vecinity. The DvD submission actually allows the applicant to show much more of their talent.

Good luck & sending you happy thoughts :)!
  • TXKatsmomTXKatsmom Registered User Posts: 255 Junior Member
    400? Wow!

MTgrlsmom, thanks so much for your happy thoughts :) (and for saying "DVD's of 'questionable quality' LOL!!).
  • toonastietoonastie Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I attended MPulse last summer, as far as i know it was split evenly between live auditions and dvd auditions.

There were approximately 450 who auditioned.. 16 guys and 14 girls were accepted.

If anyone has any questions, let me know! :-)
    I Just read this on the UM website:

"April 10, 2008

Application Deadlines

Appllications with recorded auditions are currently being accepted for all 2008 MPulse sessions.

The Vocal Arts Institute is accepting applications from male singers only.

The Musical Theatre Workshop will continue to accept applications until enrollment is confirmed (tuition is received) for approximately 30-32 students. Current juniors of exceptional ability may still apply but most likely a positive review would result in a place on the existing waitlist.

Decision Notification

Letters have been mailed for

Double Reed Institute
    Flute Institute
    Musical Theatre Workshop
    PAT Camp
    Saxophone Institute
    Summer Dance Institute
    Theatre & Drama Academy
    Vocal Arts Institute "

Looks like decision letters have been mailed!!
  • jordanfirstmanjordanfirstman Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    just got my acceptance letter! soooo excited!
    Congrats jordanfirstman!!! How wonderful!
    No letter here, yet. Hopefullly tomorrow...
    Letter came today & D was rejected...:( but its okay, because she was accepted to OCU. She really was hoping for MPULSE because she went to OCU last year (and Loved it!!!) but it wasn't meant to be...
  • cassie100cassie100 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    I got rejected as well. Its alright, I had a great experience while I was up there. Plus I got into the BW camp and get to work with Vicky Bussert. They only took 15 this year. Im excited about that.

Congrats to those who got in, you deserve it!!!
  • jdm7194jdm7194 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Does anyone on here have a son that auditioned for MPulse? If so, would you mind telling me what they sung for auditions? What about a monologue?
  • llong39llong39 Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    My son sang "Lost in the Wilderness." While attending he was taught that good songs for auditions are pre 1965 musicals and Mr. Wagner really likes the golden age. He used that info for his college auditions last fall. For monologues he read monologue books and when he liked one he would read the play. He did a comedic monologue the first year and a dramatic one the second year. He was accepted both times.
  • chae5192chae5192 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    What about females? I'm planning to audition this year as well.
  • camclogcamclog Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    My son auditioned by tape and one of the songs he sang was I Turned The Corner From TMM. Oh and something from Seussical, as he had just played the Cat. He did get accepted and loved it.
  • camclogcamclog Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    chae 5192, I just noticed you are from Ky as well. We are too!
  • sounditoutsounditout Registered User Posts: 63 Junior Member
    Are any of you familiar with how good the instrumental programs are? I am an oboist and I was thinking of applying to the double reed institute.

Are they as competitive to get into as the musical theater/dance programs?
  • jdm7194jdm7194 Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    I read that MPulse has extended their deadline for recorded auditions. Does anyone know the new deadline for submitting for their Musical Theater camp?
This discussion has been closed.