Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.
WasianWasian Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
edited July 2011 in University of Minnesota
So, I was being dumb, and my dad didn't want to fill out FAFSA, so now it seems like we can't get student loans this year. Are private loans worth it, or should I just wait until next year and apply for student loans x2? I'm only looking to get around 3k in loans per year. Or, is there still a way to get student loans even if the FAFSA isn't finished (it needs to be changed too now that I've changed addresses)

Thanks in advance!,

Wasian
Post edited by Wasian on

Replies to: Loans?

• DenquistDenquist Registered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
    Why don't you contact financial aid and ask them?
  • plumney1plumney1 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    If you are talking about Fall '11 aid, it actually isn't too late. You missed the priority deadlines, but if you submit your FAFSA now or in the next month or so you will qualify for some loans if needed. Most likely it will be the Ford subsidized/unsubsidized loans (governement loans), which go at 4.5% interest I believe, which aren't that bad compared to private vendor loans.
  • WasianWasian Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    After I applied for FAFSA, the U site still says that I haven't applied yet. So, I was wondering if ther were any non-FAFSA decent student loans to get?
  • proculusproculus Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    The U probably just hasn't recieved your fafsa yet, processing time and all that. I've heard SallieMae is pretty big in the student loan market, though I've never used them myself. Personally, my dad got a home equity loan, since that had the best available rate for us.
This discussion has been closed.