Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.
WasianWasian Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
edited July 2011 in University of Minnesota
If we can't find the books in the online bookstore (or they aren't available), and there aren't any online, where's the next best place to look?

If I'm thinking about this right, the ISBN numbers HAVE to match up, otherwise they won't be the same book, correct?

For example, the Calc book that is required for the class is Out of Stock, and the ISBN number can't be found online. Is there any other way I can find it?

Thanks in advance,

Wasian
Post edited by Wasian on

Replies to: Books

• KajonKajon Registered User Posts: 4,378 Senior Member
    Did you try Chegg? I believe the numbers have to match up.

On Thursday we ran over to the bookstore to get my son's books. His Calc 1 book is by Simmons and ISBN# 9780070576421 If this is the same as yours, it is still showing as available in used or rental. Were you looking on the University of Minnesota Bookstore website or off of the "MyU" site?

There are more employees than customers this time of year at the bookstore. They were extremely helpful to us, so you might want to give them a call. We are still in a state of confusion over the lab book for Physics and they will be calling us back.
  • WasianWasian Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Nah. I'm using a different book, and it says that it is sold out in the bookstore. I've tried ISBNing the number at various websites, but it says that it doesn't recognize the number :/.
    Cheggs doesn't seem to work either. I can't find the Chemistry or Calc book there. I feel like I must be doing something wrong x.x.
  • KajonKajon Registered User Posts: 4,378 Senior Member
    Are you going to the link I provided? Click on Textbooks, order textbooks, order textbooks and then the bubble that says "textbooks for my courses"?

If you are googling the ISBN# are you also including the author or publisher's name. Another thing to think about is that it is possible the books are unique to the U of MN. My son's Econ book says "Published specifically for the U of Minnesota"

Why don't you give your course # and which section you are in and maybe someone will look to see if you are making a mistake or if there is no book available. Are you looking at the lab, lecture and discussion sections?

Best of luck
    I did click on the link but it shows up as the book is out of stock. And for googling it doesn't come up in the search. I am looking at all the sections to see if there are books needed in them. Thank you for the suggestions though ^^.

I will call the bookstore on Monday, probably, to see if we can get it figured out. I would really not like to buy a brand new book, if all possible.
This discussion has been closed.