Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Feasibility of jumping straight to 3xxx Philosophy courses?

twentyfourhundotwentyfourhundo Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
edited November 2013 in University of Minnesota
I'm a freshman wanting to get a minor in philosophy and looking over courses to take next semester, and to free up time later on, I'm considering taking a class like PHIL 3001W: General History of Western Philosophy: Ancient Period instead of taking an intro course first.

The rest of my courses would be pretty standard freshman courses (I'm in Carlson: Contemporary Management, Intro to Macroecon, Biogeography).

I'm a solid writer (800 SAT Writing, 12e) and have gotten As or A+s on all my papers so far this semester, though most were for a freshman seminar, so they were most likely graded a bit more leniently.

Would I be able to take one of the general history of philosophy courses at the 3xxx level and still have a pretty good shot, obviously with effort, of getting an A?
Post edited by twentyfourhundo on

Replies to: Feasibility of jumping straight to 3xxx Philosophy courses?

• UMTYMP studentUMTYMP student Registered User Posts: 949 Member
    It obviously depends on a lot of factors like the professor and how good of a writer you are that we can't really assess but it certainly isn't out of the question. Finding someone who has actually taken the class might be a good idea too.
This discussion has been closed.