Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance me for CSE

Schmitty3333Schmitty3333 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
I am an Indian male from Plymouth, Minnesota.
Stats:

ACT: C:33 (E:33, M:34, R:30, S:33) I have gotten a 34 on English but I don't think it matters that much

UW GPA: 3.74
W GPA: 3.87

AP Scores: AP Bio(4), APUSH(4) and I am taking Calc AB and BC in my senior year

EC's: I have about 300 volunteer hours and will have about 350 volunteer hours by the end of my senior year. I volunteer every Saturday at a hospital for 3 hours. I was on the debate team in 9th and 10th grade. I started working at Kumon at the beginning of Junior year and work about 6-7 hours a week. I was in Math club in 9th grade. I am also in a volunteer club at my school.

I plan on majoring in Biomedical Engineering or Environmental Engineering

Replies to: Chance me for CSE

• mitchklongmitchklong Registered User Posts: 813 Member
    I would say admission is likely. Try to get your grades up to top 10% if not already there, they like to see that.
  • Schmitty3333Schmitty3333 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Thanks for the reply. My school doesn't do class rank so I don't really know where I stand but I think i would be in the top 10%.
  • gman333gman333 Registered User Posts: 247 Junior Member
    Scores and EC's excellent, grades are pretty good. I think you'll be fine, but CSE is very competitive. Had a 11% admission rate this year.
  • KajonKajon Registered User Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    This is always an interesting chart to look at: http://admissions.tc.umn.edu/academics/profile.html

Students who are admitted to CSE as freshman still have to apply separately for a specific major around soph year. I believe those meeting the course requirements and with a 3.2 GPA are guaranteed a spot in their major.

As an unrelated side note: I just read that last year for the whole university there were 44,000 application for admission, up from 20 some thousand in 2009. Impressive! I think it was 35,000 when my son applied in 2011.
    Gman333 cse had an 11% acceptance rate last year? That seems a little low. Could you share where you got this information. I'm also in state and the acceptance rate for in state is way higher than oos. Thanks for the reply!
    edited August 2014
    Orientation for incoming freshman. Approx. 11,000 apps for CSE I think around 1,400 accepted, is what the slide show said. I'm pretty sure that's what the numbers are.
  • KajonKajon Registered User Posts: 4,440 Senior Member
    I think gman may be correct because last year they finally upped it from a cap of around 1000 per academic year.
    Would 1,400 be the number of students attending or number of students who got accepted?
    I think they said accepted. I could be wrong and that is the enrolled number which sounds more likely to be honest.
  • quirky294quirky294 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    The acceptance rate for CSE is certainly not 11%. It's among the lowest here but nowhere near that.

Your UW and W GPA only have a 0.1 difference...did you take a lot of other challenging classes? They should view that higher than ACT
    quirky294

APs I have taken are:

Junior year: AP Bio and APUSH and I got 4s on both
    Senior year: AP Calc AB, AP Calc BC, AP Physics B

Honors classes:
    Freshman year: Honors Physical Science (a class which you had to have scored a 25 on the explore science in 8th grade to get into), Honors Communications 9 (Language Arts), Integrated Math 2X (Honors Algebra)

Sophomore year: Honors Communications 10, Integrated Math 3X (Honors Geometry), Bio X (Honors Bio), Chemistry X (Honors Chemistry)

Junior year: Integrated Math 4X (Honors Pre-Calc), AP Bio and APUSH

Senior year: AP Calc AB, AP Calc BC, AP Physics B
  • quirky294quirky294 Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    Yeah I think you should get into CSE with all of those. I think you probably know the deal with admission to your major. Also, since you're Indian, it should be some incentive, as the U makes quite a big deal over diversity.
    Update: I just got into CSE on November 10 and all of my materials were received by the University of Minnesota on September 23
  • Kitten23Kitten23 Registered User Posts: 576 Member
    I also saw the slideshow displaying the "applied" and "accepted" figures and I concur with the 11% acceptance rate. Congrats to those who make it in! I'm one of the lucky ones.
    @Kitten23 wow that seems really low. Many top engineering colleges don't even have an acceptance rate that low, (Michigan, UT, Purdue etc.)
This discussion has been closed.