Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances CSE and CLA and scholarship potential

13»

Replies to: Chances CSE and CLA and scholarship potential

• CyclonesGradCyclonesGrad Registered User Posts: 499 Member
    @mamelot Good luck to your daughter. Amen to reapplying.
    @Mamelot Per our earlier discussion about on-state/OOS tuition not having as big a difference as other states, i.e. WI, IN, IL, MI. See the link below because I think it shows what you were saying regarding that UMN is gradually making the difference larger:

http://www.oir.umn.edu/static/tuition/TuitionUMNTC.pdf

We definitely need the Gold National if my kids are going to go to UMN.
  • MamelotMamelot Registered User Posts: 2,116 Senior Member
    @CyclonesGrad thanks for sending this. Has UMN released 2016-17 tuition and fees yet? I thought that would be out pretty soon.

Good luck to your kids and Gold National. Hopefully the criteria is pretty straightforward so you'll have an idea of their chances.
    @mamelot I did not see anything on CDS about 2016-17 Tuition and fees. I think it will come out in December when the 2015 CDS comes out.

As for Gold National, it say top 10% of class but also says that for National Excellence (1/2 of diff IS vs OOS). Not clear how they decide which one is offered. Both DS and DD are top 4% out of class of 500+.
    @CyclonesGrad yeah, you are right - we are doing some college stuff now with D2 and NOBODY has next year's tuition numbers out. What's up with that? LOL.

I totally understand how your kids are facing uncertainty w/r/t which of those scholarships they would receive and it can make all the difference in terms of where they end up. Perhaps the admissions rep. can give you some insight but I'm guessing that within that top 10% group there's going to be some further stratification based on those primary and secondary factors the admissions site keeps mentioning.

I can't recall when the university-wide awards were distributed last year - some got them early-on, some later on. I think everything gets doled out by March or so but I seem to recall either last year or the year before there was some discussion about Gold awards arriving with the admissions packet (so not available on the Tracker) - but whether they were for OOS or just NMF's I can't recall. Perhaps you can go through the previous threads and find out more info - or post the question to see if someone can share their experience. BTW, if there is even a small chance of the kids ending up at UMN then they will want to spend the $25 to reserve their residence hall spot once that process opens up in Nov. The earlier you sign up, the better your chances of getting your first place dorm (and you can change your preference all you want till the deadline in May 2016).
    @mamelot They want to keep you in the dark about 2016 - 17 tuition so you sign up before knowing the cost ;) I would think my kids would get the gold considering DD (30 ACT, top 4%) and DS (32 ACT, top 4%) have good stats. We will see.

Too bad that UMN does not give guaranteed money based on stats for OOS like Iowa State ($19500 Tuition/R&B - $1500 of that is legacy/$8000 for stats) and Ohio State ($21,500 for stats). They should maybe be a little more aggressive.
    @CyclonesGrad I hope they get the Gold National. They are smart kids. Be sure to let us know what happens. Hope they get a quick notice too.

Iowa's universities are wonderful in that you know your status immediately and the scholarship descriptions are very straightforward so that you can begin to plan financially. No surprises. That has to be the most pleasant application process around.
    @Mamelot Agreed about ISU application. My nephew goes there after I suggested to him while he was waiting on UIUC and Purdue. He is very happy there.

I will let you know what happens with UMN.
13»
This discussion has been closed.