right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

UMN Honors Program Chance Me

CuneiformCuneiform 8 replies3 threadsRegistered User New Member
edited July 1 in University of Minnesota
I have been accepted into UMN PSEO. Currently, I have a 3.98 GPA with PSEO classes ranging from the sciences to the arts. Additionally, I am in multiple ECs with awards and distinctions. Plus, I have parents who went to the U of M. However, I am still wondering if I am able to get into the UMN Honors program even with my 1430 SAT score? Please feel free to inform me.
edited July 1
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UMN Honors Program Chance Me

• myrna97myrna97 99 replies8 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    It may depend on which college you apply to. You can see the average stats, by college, for students admitted to honors, here: https://admissions.tc.umn.edu/honors/review.html
    · Reply · Share
  • CuneiformCuneiform 8 replies3 threadsRegistered User New Member
    I will apply to C of SE. However, that website only refers to scores and HS rank and not other factors.
    · Reply · Share
  • myrna97myrna97 99 replies8 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    True, the chart only lists those, but I don't think anyone here will have any more information than you'll find on that page I linked, which does state that test scores and class rank/GPA, along with the courses you've taken, are the most important factors.

Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • CuneiformCuneiform 8 replies3 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Since this is a chance thread, can you put your self in the shoes of an admission officer and see if I am qualified or not. Once again, this is your opinion. All I hope for is to gain advice from other people in order to better navigate my application.
    · Reply · Share
  • katrina1katrina1 105 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    My daughter is a freshman and did not get into CSE Honors despite having a 34 ACT, 1520 SAT, and 3.97 GPA. That said, she also chose not to be in PSEO because she wanted to enjoy her senior year of high school. She is now glad she was not in CSE Honors, and I don't think it is classic "sour grapes". She likes being in the Frontier LLC rather than Middlebrook where there have been some flooding problems and some freshmen have been moved. She also is really enjoying both her classes and the students in the Frontier LLC. She seems to be enjoying college because she is able to study and make friends and go out.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting into Honors. What you do want to do is sign up for housing as soon as it opens (usually in November) so that you have a good choice for housing.
    · Reply · Share
  • uofmmomuofmmom 22 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    My daughter is a current junior at the U. She had 4.35 GPA, top 2% of her class and a 33 ACT score. She did not make it into honors for CBS.
    · Reply · Share
  • MusakParentMusakParent 998 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I would not worry about honors for CSE. The whole student body are honors students.

My kid got in honors last year in CLA with an ACT 34 and a 4.0 GPA and 32 credits of dual enrollment.
    · Reply · Share
  • brooklynlydiabrooklynlydia 192 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    My son has a transcript similar to your description. He is in CSE. He is not in honors. I think he would say he is pretty average compared to his classmates. The one kid we know in CSE honors is a substantially better student (ability and skill).
    · Reply · Share