Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Journalism Apple Laptops

connfamilyconnfamily Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
Question for all you student and parents who have gone through buying the recommended Apple Laptops for your Journalism kids.

1. When did you get specific information about the bundles and when to buy? I am fairly sure it said something about picking them up at Summer Welcome, and since it's almost April I want to make sure I don't miss the deadline to order to get prior to Summer Welcome?

2. Did you buy them through MU or did you find you could get a better deal elsewhere? Hubby keeps saying we should buy in Delaware or buy through the Military AAFES catalog.

3. Did you get a regular MacBook or a MacBook Pro? 13 or 15 inch screen? And did your kids wish later they would have gotten another kind?

4. Was all the necessary software included? I went on the link for Apple for Mizzou and it showed you even had to buy Microsoft Office and it was pretty high in my opionion.

Thanks - Just trying to get a handle on how we are going to proceed.
Post edited by connfamily on

Replies to: Journalism Apple Laptops

• geezermomgeezermom Registered User Posts: 1,355 Senior Member
    We bought a MacBook Pro at our local Apple store (I think it has the larger screen), and he took it with him to Summer Welcome where they set it up for him. I recommend comparing prices and making the decision that way. We were already a Mac family, so getting a Windows computer would have been like rooting for Kansas, and I think Macs are required in the j-school anyway.
  • connfamilyconnfamily Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
    Great - Good to know about buying it ahead of time and taking it to Summer Welcome.

Is it still running just as good and does he think it will make it till he graduates? They had recommended getting the base model as a Freshman and upgrading for Junior/Senior years. I'd rather pay a little more now if I know it will get her through Senior year.
  • mizzoumizzou Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    yea they are pulling your leg if they tell you to upgrade after two years. They told me that too and it's BS. I know people that have gotten through with the regular macbook for all 4 years, but for my sake, i bought the macbook pro just to be safe. I like it for its 15 inch screen and I know it can handle some of the more processor-heavy journalism programs like InDesign and such.

If it was me, I would get a macbook pro. It WILL make it through 4 years.
    ^^ Agreed. My S will be able to use his all four years. He did upgrade the memory on his own.
    Thanks - So helpful!!!
  • clakclak Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    I'm going into journalism and I'm not getting a Mac at all. And that's by choice, not because of financial concerns. Feels good, man.
    That's perfectly okay. Just promise you won't root for Kansas.
  • dtaggartdtaggart Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I have a bigger problem than all of you... my son is headed to Mizzou (with his macbook pro) to study J, and I went to (and still root for) Kansas. Interested in any support groups you know about... :)
    You'll just have to lay low for four years, and avoid logo clothing when in Columbia.
    HAHAHA!!! Someone called me today at work from KU (my boss went to KU for Engineering) and he is going there soon for meetings and at first I'm like KU???????????? Don't you mean MU and then it clicked!!

They just entered the new bundles for 2010.

So the bundles include Computer, Office, 25' Ethernet Cable, 4GB Mizzou Flash Drive, Surge Protector, Notebook Lock and 3 Year warranty.

The price for the least expensive MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 is 2052.95.

So I broke it down

$1599 MacBook Pro w/ $100 student discount
    $149.95 for Office 2008 for MAC (2010 is supposed to come out late fall around Christmas)
    $239.00 for 3 year warranty.

The other stuff in my opinion is all fluff. That comes to $1987.95

We don't normally buy the warranty on anything, will have to discuss w/ our daughter and my husband and see. Also, I'm thinking that she might benefit by waiting for the Office 2010 to come out? I'm going to e-mail the Journalism dept and find out. It may be that she does need Office for her Journalism classes and other classes.
  • MojaveMochaMojaveMocha Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    2. Did you buy them through MU or did you find you could get a better deal elsewhere? Hubby keeps saying we should buy in Delaware or buy through the Military AAFES catalog.

3. Did you get a regular MacBook or a MacBook Pro? 13 or 15 inch screen? And did your kids wish later they would have gotten another kind?

4. Was all the necessary software included? I went on the link for Apple for Mizzou and it showed you even had to buy Microsoft Office and it was pretty high in my opionion.

I'm a sophomore and I bought my laptop through TigerTech the summer before my freshman year. My advice would be to hold off until sophomore or junior year - as late as possible for several reasons.

First - it wasn't really necessary. Every dorm has a computer lab somewhere, and there are computing stations throughout campus. You get $35 of printing every semester (each page is a nickel I think). I could literally have worked on my papers one floor below me in my pajamas until five in the morning if necessary. In J1010, J1100 and J2000 a laptop isn't really necessary. There were no multimedia projects (those generally come at the end of sophomore year or beginning of jr year). Most kids used them to take notes in class - which I don't do for two reasons: a) You aren't really actively paying attention to lecture, you're just typing what you hear. When you physically write notes you learn better ... and b) nearly 100% of the time you're 'multitasking' by being on facebook or online shopping or checking baseball scores etc.
    Some professors (not in the J-School, more in your gen eds) don't even allow laptops. In addition to not really being a necessity - since it is Apple - a new generation came out several months later...which is typically the case when you get a Mac. I can't really afford a new computer now until grad school.

The real reason they stress freshmen having laptops (and this is only the J-School) is because they have a contract with Apple. Convincing freshmen to buy laptops right away ensures that the majority of J-Schoolers are Macs and gets the school some perks.
This discussion has been closed.