Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Journalism Internship Opportunities

smallfry711smallfry711 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
I'm wondering if current students can speak first-hand about internship and job opportunities available through Mizzou.
Ultimately, I want to end up working for a magazine or newspaper in New York. Is it common for Mizzou students to get summer internships in cities like New York? If so, does Mizzou help students find housing in the city too?
I'm currently torn between Mizzou and NYU right now; Mizzou because they offer such a great education, but NYU because of its easy accessibility to internships.
Please help!
Post edited by smallfry711 on

Replies to: Journalism Internship Opportunities

• Tori_momTori_mom Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
  • smallfry711smallfry711 Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Thanks for the link. I know it says there is a journalism internship program in NYC, but it doesn't say exactly which company. Do you have any idea of which companies students work for as interns?
  • Tori_momTori_mom Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    No, I don't know :-) Maybe some upper class students can answer you.
  • olderwisermomolderwisermom Registered User Posts: 806 Member
    The beauty of the Missouri method of Journalism is that your last two years in college are an internship in themselves. Your classwork for the most part is hands-on journalism for community media outlets. Your degree will open doors for you across the country. It has for me in four states for 30 years.

For the NY summer program, I believe you secure your own internship with assistance from the career office, but also attend seminars with other Mizzou J-School students who are in NYC.
This discussion has been closed.