Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Potential Fall 2011 Schedule-Bad idea or Manageable

franckherve1franckherve1 Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
Chem 102 Honors, Math 232, and Bio 101 Honors. is taking three science-related classes manageable for freshman fall possible or a bad idea?
Post edited by franckherve1 on

Replies to: Potential Fall 2011 Schedule-Bad idea or Manageable

• TwobittehzTwobittehz Registered User Posts: 270 Junior Member
    They reccomend that you have 17 hours per semester and this is college material, so whatever you do end up taking you'll have to learn to manage. I heard science courses are very hard at Carolina but if it's your major and you need to take those classes anyway does it matter if you're a freshman, sophomore, or senior?
    Sent from my M860 using CC App
  • jambabyjambaby Registered User Posts: 690 Member
    I think that's pretty hardcore for first semester unless you really, really love math and science. Also, 15 hours is usually the recommended amount, especially for freshmen. 17 hours is a killer.
  • MaterMiaMaterMia Registered User Posts: 1,155 Senior Member
    Chem is a very time consuming class. You have to take a lot of gen ed electives to fill out your requirements, so I would strongly considering spreading some of these out, and fill in with some of those gen ed classes. 15 is the recommendation, not 17.
  • cookiebichoncookiebichon Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Regular chem 102 is difficult and time consuming, let alone honors. Who is the professor? Also add in a 4-5 hour lab once a week and all the time the lab reports seem to take...they have to be written a certain way and it is difficult to get the hang of it. Plus if you have a bad lab TA that adds in time. Also doesn't bio have a lab? Seems like pretty intensive for 1st semester freshman year.
  • TwobittehzTwobittehz Registered User Posts: 270 Junior Member
    I stand corrected

Sent from my M860 using CC App
  • phonyreal98phonyreal98 Registered User Posts: 1,984 Senior Member
    I'd say that's overkill for first semester freshman year. I took until second semester sophomore year to take that many science classes.
  • franckherve1franckherve1 Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    I am majoring in Biochemistry though. I have lots of science classes to take. and that was just part of my schedule, the other part is Eng 102i, and first year seminar. so, If I had to take a science class out of the equation, which one should it be? Bio or Chem?
  • cookiebichoncookiebichon Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    drop chem for now
  • jambabyjambaby Registered User Posts: 690 Member
    I agree about holding off on chem. Bio 101 Honors, Math 232, Eng 102i, and a first year seminar are going to be more than enough... I promise!

ETA - and no one first semester freshman year knows what they're majoring in... Even if they think they do! ; -)
This discussion has been closed.