Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Oos financial aid

rundmcrundmc Registered User Posts: 494 Member
Hey guys,

I know unc has a number of scholarship but I also am aware of their competitiveness. So, I was wondering whether unc has a good financial aid program for oos( if they meet 100% need, amount of grant or loan and whether or not they're need-blind toward oos). If there are some really good scholarship program that I should be aware of please let me know. Thanks!!!!
Post edited by rundmc on

Replies to: Oos financial aid

• thedon23thedon23 Registered User Posts: 150 Junior Member
    Based on what I've been told (I'm an OOS applying as a junior transfer this fall), and OOS students receive the same amount of aid as in state. They do meet 100% of need, and that is generally through 65-70% grants, and the rest in loans. That is based on what I've read on this forum and some other sources.
  • SnoginthelooSnogintheloo Registered User Posts: 123 Junior Member
    I haven't had much luck. I haven't met anyone that received any aid as an out of state, but hopefully I'm talking to the wrong people! My friend told me once you establish and UNC GPA a lot more opens up to you1
  • lottastrikeslottastrikes Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    My son is an OOS junior and receieves a very good financial aid package. They met 100% of need, including some small loans and work-study. The rest was grants. Also, he has a 3.95 GPA which has not given him any additional grant or scholarship money. I'm not convinced that GPA has anything to do with it. Thanks.
  • riogeminiriogemini Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    My son is a freshman OOS and they were very generous with the FA package. They met our need 100%. My S has a modest subsidized loan and is doing a work study but we are paying slightly less than our EFC. I hope it is the same for all of you.
This discussion has been closed.