- caucasian male attending prestigious private school in CT
- no financial aid necessary
- starting junior year soon (class of '13)
3.59 (89.75%) UW. i know it's really low. bad freshman first semester.
frosh year: spanish 2h (b-, a); algebra 2h (b-, b+); history (b, b+); english (b-, a-); biology (b-, a); band (a-, a-).
sophomore year: spanish 3h (a-, a); english (a-, a); history (a, a-); chem (a+, a-); geo/trig (a-, a-); choir (a, a-).
(frosh and soph year, only more rigorous classes i could've taken were: ap modern euro- *may* take senior year, honors bio, honors chem, honors geo/trig)
junior year: ap envi sci, ap us history, honors english, pre-calculus, honors spanish 4, choir, international relations.
senior year: ap spanish, ap english, fundamentals of calc & ap stats, poetry fiction & playwriting, global thesis seminar, physics, chamber choir.
high honors society both semesters sophomore year and second semester freshman year.
headmaster's list (contributes most to overall classroom learning environment) both semesters sophomore year.
inducted into foreign language honors society at the end of sophomore year.
due to sucky freshman year, about 10/87. (no official rank)
sat's (taken recently without sat prep other than vocab studying- will be getting lots of prep):
690 cr (770 with correct vocab-- working on it)
690 w (780 without one section-- working on it)
psat's (beginning of sophomore year):
would like to major in business and minor or double major in creative writing.
extra curriculars (in order of importance):
- founded literary magazine at beginning of sophomore year that donates proceeds to organization that works to alleviate child labor in third world countries; remain founder and editor-in-chief; expanding project to include around 20 associate staff editors.
- runner-up for 2011 elizabeth bishop prize in verse sponsored by the blue pencil online- attended their inaugural ceremony to read work; they published my poem
- 2011 scholastic art & writing awards- gold key for five poems
- editor of high school literary magazine starting junior year (earliest you can do it); staff member sophomore year.
- writing in over 115 independently-owned publications (some are extremely selective); featured on my school's website, being featured in school's annual report magazine this year
- will graduate high school with concentration in global studies (will have taken global service trip, up to 4h of language (spanish), will have analyzed current global issue and written thesis about it (senior year seminar).
- leadership position in global education community service club at my high school starting junior year.
- bass/bairtone in all-male a cappella group at high school starting sophomore year; won 3rd place in all-state a cappella championship sophomore year.
- played piano in young musician's festival (competitive musician program in march every year) freshman year-- intermediate 10/10 stars.
- model un- travelled to georgetown's naimun conference sophomore year, will again junior year.
- attended middlebury's new england young writers conference as a sophomore (meant for juniors)
- stanford epgy sophomore summer (studied creative writing intensively, three weeks; no college credit)
- volunteer camp counselor freshman summer- took care of autistic child for six weeks
- member of columbia university's student film actors pool (act in student films there)
- in-depth research of cuban poetry scene sophomore spring (they are silenced due to cuban rule; wrote up short thesis/report about it complete with interviews and analyzed data, in spanish)
- two improv groups (will lead both senior year)
- perform songs often at coffeehouses and school performances
- played piano in band freshman year; sing in choir sophomore year through to senior year.
- photography in dickinson college's foreign language magazine.
essays and recs and interview will be great.
okay. so first of all sorry for making you read! :) i'd love to know where i stand for admission. and yes, again, i am aware my gpa sucks, but my school is really challenging (one of the toughest private schools in connecticut).