Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

OOS Senior Chances?

EricJPriceEricJPrice Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
Hi, I'm currently in the summer before my senior year of high school in Washington State and I'm wondering about my chances. I intend to be a business/finance major and here are my stats:

-Cumulative GPA (Unweighted / 4.0 scale): 3.99 (If it wasn't for that one A- semester...)

-ACT score: 34 composite, (33 English, 34 Mathematics, 33 Reading, 34 Science)

-Taking the SAT II's on October 1st

-Class Rank: 6th among 324 students ~ top 1-2%

-AP/IB/Honors/Dual Credit: -Instead of taking AP classes for my Junior and Senior year, my high school has a program so that I can take classes at my local community college for my last two years of high school. I decided to do this full time and have been taking fairly rigorous courses as well as business-related classes to appeal to business schools. However, I did take Honors English 1 & 2 as well as Honors Algebra during my first two years at High School (the only offered honors classes to my grades)

Junior Year Classes:
-Intro to Economics
-English 101
-College Algebra 111 (Necessary pre-requisite for Calculus at College)
-Sociology 101
-Calculus 1
-Intro to Business
-Microeconomics
-US History III
-Music History (Necessary for art credit)

Senior Year Schedule:
-Physics I
-Physics Calculations I
-ASL 1
-Food and Nutrition
-ASL 2
-English 102
-Macroeconomics
-Physics II
-Physics Calculations II
-Intro to Accounting I
-Intro to Law

EC's:
-Played on the High School Football Team for Freshman and Sophmore years.

-Active member of the Phi Theta Kappa honors society (The honors society for my local Community College)

-Active member in the Relay for Life Committee (Have volunteered many hours to this organization, in one instance I helped organize a community "carnival" as a fundraiser; we raised approximately $600 from that event and lead the community in most money raised that year at a total of ~$4000)

-Volunteering for Habitat for Humanity.

-Been on the Vice President's list at my local community college because of my 4.0 GPA for all the classes I've taken at the CC.
Post edited by EricJPrice on

Replies to: OOS Senior Chances?

• JohnBlackJohnBlack Registered User Posts: 314 Member
    Your stats look great but your ECs don't really say anything about you. What are you interested in? You might put ad-coms off with your lack of focus outside of the classroom.
  • EricJPriceEricJPrice Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    I understand what you're saying, the extracurriculars I've taken during high school were very limited because I spent most of my time maintaining my grades (Dual Enrollment at the CC I attend was very demanding). Obviously that's no excuse, however, I'm just explaining that with having 6 hours + of homework a night to keep a 4.0, it was difficult to fit in EC's.

Now with that said, obviously any clubs I join my senior year would seem like a desperate attempt to fill up EC spaces on the applications. Do you have any advice for something I could use to perhaps draw the ad-coms attention away from my lack of EC's?
  • JohnBlackJohnBlack Registered User Posts: 314 Member
    Honestly, I don't know if I have any profound advice for you. You're right in that I wouldn't worry about joining 'a bunch of clubs' senior year. At this point, you just need to move ahead.

The advice I would give is to write a stellar essay that showcases your personality/passion as a student. Show that you can be successful outside of the classroom and on the ACT.

I wouldn't worry too much because I'm sure you are going to get into some great schools regardless. Just try your best.

Also, don't discount your flagship! It has a number of nationally recognized (top ranked) programs. It's one of the best public schools in the county. In my experience, a smart/driven student can succeed in almost any school environment.
This discussion has been closed.