Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where to live?!

sarmiebsarmieb Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I'm a transfer student in my first year and Carolina, and I have had an absolute terrible time getting to know people and feeling apart of the community here. I thought that living off campus would be the best way to meet people because I'm a senior age-wise, but junior status according to UNC, and I thought everyone living on campus would be much younger than me. I transferred from a CC wayyy outside of the area, so I knew virtually nothing about the area, and no one coming. After a brief visit I decided to stay at the Warehouse because it seemed relatively safe, close, leased by the bedroom, and offered a "roommate matching service." It was definitely my own fault, I should have researched the living situations better, but the place was the like the panhellenic's personal night club. I did okay the first few months, and got along with my roommates fine, but they were a mix of girls from diff sororities and there was so much backstabbing and ish talk that I just had to get out of there for own sanity. I'm currently living in Cary and commute everyday which is probably just as worse cause now I feel like an absolute alien on campus, with ZERO friends or connection to the campus. I really want to be more involved on campus next year, and live some place I fit in a bit better. I applied for student housing, and got Ruffin but am on the waiting list for Old West or Old East-- from what I've heard these are mostly upperclassmen and non-greek, but the random roommate they assigned me is a sophomore! I'll be a 5th year senior next year so I'll already be out of place, do you think I would be even more out of place living on North campus? Especially if I don't know anyone, and have never experienced the dorm life before? My other option is a house on Hillsborough Street, which is relatively close, but nothing in comparison to being on campus.. or is it?

So, getting to the point.. Are there many seniors that live on north campus? Would you consider Old West/East/Ruffin's location to be markedly more convenient compared to Hillsborough street? And if so, would the convenient location make up for the inconvenience of dorm-style living?
Post edited by sarmieb on

Replies to: Where to live?!

• keepittoyourselfkeepittoyourself Registered User Posts: 1,546 Senior Member
    Sorry noone has replied to you yet. People on here are in general only interested in 'UNC is great', so dissenting voices get a bit tuned out. It sounds like you've had a bad time so far, sorry to hear that.

Given your age, I would actually consider trying to find some roommates in a house in Carrboro. That is where the seniors tend to hang out, and if you move into a house with 3 or 4 people, you'll have a ready-made circle of friends. Probably cheaper, too. Have a look on craigslist.
  • smack28752smack28752 Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    I am the parent of an incoming freshman and an alum from the dark ages. On a recent campus visit, it sounds like there is a concentrated effort to keep new students (85%) in south campus area housing and upperclass students get early opprtunities for the north side residents halls. I do not know the distribution students by class in those dorms but there is probably a good mix. I spoke with a senior who lived in Old East for three years who loved the experience.

As for Ruffin, as I am sure you know, the location is outstanding. I lived next door in Grimes one year and in Everett in the lower quad another year and was very happy. Ruffin is a relatively small hall with about 90 students and is surrounded by similar dorms.

If you decide to not stay on campus, as mentioned in a previous post, find a place close by with an easy bus commute. That way, you will stay engaged with the campus and its activities.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.