Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Waitlisted from UNC -- what does this mean?

Replies to: Waitlisted from UNC -- what does this mean?

• ALparentALparent Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    She only took the ACT scored 33.
    I've not ever heard of a school wait listing you for being overqualified.
    I've never heard of a school deciding for your that this is your safety school. Sounds odd.
  • hornethornet Registered User Posts: 660 Member
    UNC does not have the time or interest in second-guessing one's motives for applying. The rumor about rejecting top applicants because UNC was their safety is silly and needs to be retired. Perhaps there were too many 3.9 GPAs with perfect SATs that had the same ECs, maybe a top applicant that considered UNC a safety had a sloppy, last minute essay. For those who are out of state, your admissions chances are roughly 20%-lots of bright kids who want the cheaper than ivies but good that Carolina has apply there.

The school really is wholistic-if they need a tuba player for the pep band, they may take someone with a slightly lower GPA over the perfect GPA. A student with a 3.4 UW and top AP and SAT scores is just as capable as a valedictorian of doing well. Maybe the 3.4 had something really unique in their essay or life experiences. Anyway, top scores and grades will not result in being rejected or waitlisted but they are not the only factor that leads to acceptance.

There are a lot of really smart kids out there. My daughter has a 3.8 overall, 4.0 in her major (is graduating from a top LAC known for being top 8 with students pursuing PhDs), 2 NSF summer internships and a publication with a Duke researcher. She has just been rejected or waitlisted from 6 top clinical psychology programs. All of the reject letters stressed that everyone interviewed was capable. The schools were looking for something very specific that she did not have.

Yes, it is sad dealing with your child's disappointment but rejections are a growth experience that is not necessarily negative. On to plan "B"
  • sp8675sp8675 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Would a letter or phone call saying that I would go to UNC if I got in off the wait list really help? I thought about it but was afraid the school might get irritated since the letter specifically said than only our final grades and no other new materials would be considered in the decision.
  • jessimo093jessimo093 Registered User Posts: 422 Member
    Like I said, I don't know exactly what it would do. I can't imagine a phone call would do anything, and you'd probably be lucky to get through in the first place, but a letter declaring interest couldn't hurt.
  • absweetmarieabsweetmarie Registered User Posts: 1,905 Senior Member
    sp8675,

I think big schools are used to getting "irritated" by people doing things that they've specifically indicated are not relevant or helpful (i.e., if they send a letter that says, "please, do not call us," they are saying that because they can count on LOTS of people calling them and asking them questions they cannot answer). That doesn't mean you should do something that you can imagine would irritate them. If I were you, I would follow the instructions of whatever letter you got about the wait list.
  • glassesarechicglassesarechic Registered User Posts: 5,487 Senior Member
    UNC does not have the time or interest in second-guessing one's motives for applying. The rumor about rejecting top applicants because UNC was their safety is silly and needs to be retired. Perhaps there were too many 3.9 GPAs with perfect SATs that had the same ECs, maybe a top applicant that considered UNC a safety had a sloppy, last minute essay. For those who are out of state, your admissions chances are roughly 20%-lots of bright kids who want the cheaper than ivies but good that Carolina has apply there.

This. UNC doesn't play games with their acceptances. They're not a private institution like Tufts, and they aren't trying to manipulate their yield. They are a public, state university dedicated to serving the best and brightest. And between the unbeatable price and their top-notch merit scholarships, many top applicants choose UNC over the Ivies, Duke, and the like every year. The fact of the matter is that many shining stars are rejected every March, especially from OOS, and to blame it on your kid's overqualification--well, that's just not the way they do things.
  • NintendopsNintendops Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    You get a great SAT I score!
    Actually I only get 2100 in SAT I but I am still accepted to UNC. So I guess it's just the problem of your gpa.
    It seems quite possible for you to be accepted from waitlist. Princeton review indicates that up to 40% of the waitlist students of UNC can get a chance.
    Thank you Jessimo093! absweetmarie, thanks to you too I guess...
  • dallastexasdallastexas Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    As a wait list candidate, would it be helpful to visit admissions to indicate interest? Is there anything that can be done to increase chances of being chosen off the wait list?
  • NeedAVacationNeedAVacation Registered User Posts: 314 Member
    FWIW, we just got back from an information session. I didn't take notes, but I'm pretty sure the admissions rep said they had almost 40,000 applications this year for just under 4000 spots. Approximately 19,000 of those were OOS applicants for about 750 spots. I can't even remember what percentage of students are ranked 1st or 2nd in their class (12%, I think). He said they don't look at GPA but do look at your choice of classes given the opportunities and your grades. He also said they are not looking for "well-rounded" students but those who clearly have a "passion" they have pursued enthusiastically. Test scores are important and need to be good, but they'll take people with lower scores if they meet the other criteria better than those with perfect scores. Also, essays and the letter of rec weigh heavily. Just reporting what we heard....
    40,000 , are you sure?
  • NeedAVacationNeedAVacation Registered User Posts: 314 Member
    Dh & I are both pretty sure they said 39,000+, that it was a big increase for them, and it was due to this being the first year of using the Common Application.
  • mathfan123mathfan123 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
This discussion has been closed.