Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can transfer students defer a semester?

MatisyahuMatisyahu Registered User Posts: 847 Member
Can a transfer student who has been admitted for the fall of 2012 request to defer and enter in the spring of 2013?
Post edited by Matisyahu on

Replies to: Can transfer students defer a semester?

• ContrarianContrarian Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    As a transfer student you are eligible for deferment under the same policies as incoming freshmen. You can not, however, defer for one semester but must do so for the entire year (the general college does not do spring admissions). All you need to do is contact admissions and let them know that you will be sending in a deferment request to the Director of Admissions. Write a brief letter explaining why you think taking a gap-year would be a better situation than going this semester. Given the time frame, I would send this via email and postal mail ASAP.

Note that the official deadline to defer is July 1st, so it may be too late. However I've always had luck with UNC offices by simply explaining a situation honestly and coherently.

Edit: After looking at the updated website, it appears that you no longer send the request to the Stephen Farmer, but rather the Deputy Director of Admissions. Given this, I would contact her directly via phone and see if an exception can be made.

As far as the written request goes, I can tell you that they are more open to letting you defer if your gap will expose you to situations that broaden your intellectual horizons. Simply stating that you "aren't ready", or "need more money" might not work out. Even if you don't have a clear plan, you should mention the possibilities that would be lost to you if you attended in the Fall.

Deferring Your Admission

Good luck to you.

- M
This discussion has been closed.