Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Transfer from UCSB to UNC-CH

sourpatchkidssourpatchkids Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
hello. I am currently a pre-economics major at UCSB. I am a California resident. I love the school but my major weeds out 70% of students so i am applying for fall of 2013 as a junior transfer to various colleges. I know transferring to UNC would be a longshot, but I do not want to apply to schools with a lower reputation than UCSB because I feel I would be better off just changing major instead. I saw that the average gpa was a 3.58 for juniors and my UCSB gpa is about a 3.2. Do they take into account that UCSB curriculum is tougher than a community colleges? for example my econ prerequisites are set up so only 6% of students get A's and 6% A-, so getting a 3.58 is pretty tough.

i also wondered how much high school grades and SAT mattered?
i went to a rigorous high school and had a 3.77uw and 4.0w gpa. I didnt slack off senior year and took a full load of classes. I read that the math+reading SAT average was a 1208 for transfers and mine is 1300, so could that possibly help make up for a lower college GPA, or at least partially?

Also was curious if there is an essay? I feel I could write a very compelling essay

Thanks for reading this and any input is great. I assume college GPA is most important making this a stretch, and that its probably not practical to transfer from a UC to UNC but I would love to go to this school and would prefer it over transferring to Davis/Irvine because it has more school spirit/social life/sports, and I could have gone to those schools out of high school anyways.
This discussion has been closed.