Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I even apply to UNC-CH? OOS Student

FutureDoctor31FutureDoctor31 Registered User Posts: 663 Member
PA Resident
Race: Black

HS GPA: 3.3 or 3.4

SAT: 1430 Total (I'm going to retake it)
M: 440
CR:480
W:510

EC's
-Marching Band
-Drumline
-Percussion Ensemble
-Drumming lessons every week
-Semi-pro Baseball
...and possibly Mock Trial, World Affairs club, and the School Newspaper this year

Things that might get counted against me:
-NO AP's or honors so far (I'm going to try to get as many as I can for my senior year, and I might do dual enrollment).
-I've been to 2 different high schools in three years, not because of discipline problems, but because of my mom's inability to pay for Catholic school (I went to Catholic school grades 9 and 11).

Things that might help me:
-Upward trend in grades (F-year: 3.1 or 3.2; S-Year: 3.4; J-Year: 3.6)
-I'm an URM
-I'm a 1st gen student

Should I even waste my time applying to UNC-CH?
Post edited by FutureDoctor31 on

Replies to: Should I even apply to UNC-CH? OOS Student

• luke8ballluke8ball Registered User Posts: 159 Junior Member
    I think you should focus on other schools you'd really like to attend. Right now, your scores and course load won't be able to compete with other applicants.
  • rosa463rosa463 Registered User Posts: 30 New Member
    hi i think you're smart to ask the question. Application fees can add up and so you should apply to schools you think you can get in to..

UNC is wonderful, my daughter is there, but you know there are lots of great schools in your state too!

Get your scores up, have you tried the ACT? Reason I ask is my D did a lot better on that since she loves science..
This discussion has been closed.