Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Chances!? Borderline...

unchopeful33unchopeful33 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
Instate Student

ACT: 27 Composite
Math: 30
Reading: 28
English: 26
Science: 25

GPA: 4.3 (Weighted)

Mostly Honors Classes Freshman, Sophomore, Junior
Mostly AP's Senior year
-I moved high schools and my previous school only offered a few AP courses
-I took nearly every weighted course that I could at my previous school
-Taking 4 AP's senior year at my new school

Extras:
Class President
Student Council
Soccer
Ultimate Frisbee
Trigonometry Tutor
Leadership Conferences
Job Outside of School
Charity Work

Essays: Amazing; I worked months on them, I have no doubt they are the best part of my application
Recs: Outstanding (3x)
Post edited by unchopeful33 on

Replies to: Chances!? Borderline...

• UNCTillDeathUNCTillDeath Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    You look solid on everything but your Academics, in particular your test scores. While your weighted GPA is low, it's understandable due to the low amount of weighted classes at the previous school. Class Rank should be a bigger indicator than the actual number. Your ACT is on the low side too. Normally a 30+ would be good, so I would suggest retaking that and taking your SAT (getting a 1900+ should be fine).

Chance me back?

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1413112-chance-me-unc-chapel-hill-nyu-nc-state.html
  • unchopeful33unchopeful33 Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    It is now a 28... still low, but better than a 27 I guess!
  • UNC2016UNC2016 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    I'm a current freshman and I know plenty of students that got in with a 28. I think you're fine. There is a slight chance you will be waitlisted depending on how competitive it is this year, but you look just fine. Oh and btw, they changed the rule the previous application year that they now superscore the ACT. :). UNC also focuses more on the unweighted GPA. At least a 3.7 would be fine.
  • HighburyHighbury Registered User Posts: 323 Member
    What is your unweighted GPA? C's on transcript? Good luck!
    My unweighted GPA is a 3.8. I've had 4 B's through high school, the rest A's.
  • tarheelertarheeler Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Hey! I'd say you definitely have a fair shot at getting in. UNC is a selective school who looks deeply into academics, but the fact that you have so many extracurriculars going on will look pretty good. You do fall a little below the average test score and GPA of UNC students, but not by much. My roommate made 2 C's in high school and a few B's and still got accepted. Also, UNC does not place much emphasis on scores, but quite a bit on essays. If you spent that much time on them and are confident they are stellar, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Good luck and I hope you'll be attending this fall!
    Thank you for the analysis! It is nice to see that UNC looks at the prospective students holistically... I'm a bit anxious to hear my decision. haha
This discussion has been closed.