Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Asians at UNC?

chlorchlor Registered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
I read that Asians make up only 5.8% of UNC students. Is this true? Does that mean we are treated as URMs for admissions?
Post edited by chlor on

Replies to: Asians at UNC?

• CarolinaMomCarolinaMom Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    I suggest that in order for you to get accurate information on this point you contact Terri Houston, Director of Recruitment and Support Services for the office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs (919-962-6962). My daughter is Asian and was invited to UNC Scholars Day which was hosted by Ms. Houston's dept. so I know Asians are viewed as URMs. I don't believe, compared to other URMs, that Asians are given any special consideration with regard to admissions. Good Luck!
  • vatownsendvatownsend Registered User Posts: 138 Junior Member
    i think u are right. i have read that we are the most overrepresented minority and that schools have their pick of us so it almost seems like it makes it harder to get in?
  • CarolinaMomCarolinaMom Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    I have to agree with you, I think it is more difficult for Asians. I do think however that Ms. Houston and her department make a sincere effort to reach out to all URMs, my D felt they did more than any other college she was looking at.
This discussion has been closed.