Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

What's a better school UNC or the U.S. Air Force Academy?

spnmyungspnmyung Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
What's a better school UNC or the U.S. Air Force Academy?
Post edited by spnmyung on

Replies to: What's a better school UNC or the U.S. Air Force Academy?

• drop65drop65 Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    they are totally different experiences, you should know what you are getting into with the AFA before you make any decisions.
  • wev162wev162 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    Let me prefix this by saying I seriously considered attending USAFA for several years but ultimately decided that it wasn't the college experience for me. Instead I'll be attending UNC on a full AFROTC scholarship next year, assuming I pass all of my DODMERB (Medical) exams. I've heard the academy described as "A great place to be from but not be at" from friends who did attend. While there are many unique opportunities at the academy not available at civilian institutions, the reverse is true as well. Every "cool" factor the academy offers like Freefall or the glider program has to be balanced against the strict, disciplined lifestyle you'll live for 4 years. Many people don't seem to understand that the basic freedoms they've come to take for granted such as driving or even simply setting a personal schedule will be heavily restricted at the academy (Especially during their freshman year).

My personal decision boiled down to whether I wanted a "college" experience or USAFA's own special blend of higher education. While I still plan on commissioning as a 2Lt in 4 years, I want to enjoy my college years to the fullest. There will be plenty of time to actually be in the military once I graduate college, I can't see any reason to trade my 4 short college years for the academy environment. I want to have the freedom to fully experience and explore what college has to offer. As far as the long term career benefits of attending the AFA, everything I've read and been told says that the preferential treatment USAFA graduates used to enjoy have greatly diminished over the years and that all officers are on roughly the same footing regardless of commissioning pipeline. Feel free to PM with any questions or comments you many have, I may not have attended the academy but I've spent a long time debating and researching this issue. Good luck with what ever route you choose!
  • unccadet08unccadet08 Registered User Posts: 204 Junior Member
    o ****, are u guys going to be AFROTC cadets at UNC next semester?? I'm right now a sophmore in the program. If you either of you got any questions or whatever just post and i'll give ya'll my contact info. I can tell you about how its all oging to go, and you'll know someone who's gonna be an upperclassmen cadet next semester, which should be nice.

AFROTC is so much better than the Air Force academy. I applied to the Air Force academy but stopped my application after some long thinking of the matter when I was a senior in high school. We had a cadet who got commisioned 2 years ago who went to the Air Force academy for a year then transfered to UNC for ROTC. He said he hated the academy. and I've met some academy cadets who go and they hate it. AFROTC gives you a lot of freedom, which is y i don't think they like us very much.

But serious, you guys should definitly contact me or something with any AFROTC questions. My AIM sn is runningtater
  • thedellhaterthedellhater Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    if you really want to be an officer in the military ocs is the way to go. My bro went to navy ocs in pensacola after graduating from unc. He said the college experience was too good to pass up, plus ocs is only a 12 week program and then your an officer. (usaf or usn)
    yea, OTS is a possibility, but its not like ROTC is hard or anything. Why not do it while in college and then get commissioned the same day you get your diploma and if your on scholarship then the stipend, book money and tuition money is very very nice. OTS is your 4 years of ROTC crammed into 12 weeks. I've met officers who did OTS and most of them told me they would have rather have done rotc just because of how its all spread out nice.

Not to mention usually when it comes to giving out rated spots they typically go USAFA, AFROTC, then OTS
  • thedellhaterthedellhater Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    uncadet do you want to be an aviator in the air force? I just applied to transfer as a junior to unc, and I plan on going into navy ocs after graduation hopefully as a pilot. That would be phat if you went to UNC for the rotc program.
    i'm actually looking into becoming an Air Battle Manager. They're the air crew in AWACs (plan with big satelite on top), its kind of like surveillance and kind of like the air traffic controllers of the sky for the air force.
  • raimiusraimius Registered User Posts: 2,360 Senior Member
    Research both and see which you would rather do. USAFA has some amazing benefits and opportunities, if you don't mind doing things their way. It is not for everyone. That said, I know people who really liked the Academy. Although, they are the first to admit it was not always fun. ROTC is a great program, just very different.
    Check out www.academyadmissions.com for USAFA info.
    that is true, there are a lot of great oppertunites that Academy cadets get to enjoy and thanks to large budget cuts, several of our summer programs where we were actually ablet to take part in some of the same programs, now are temporarily cancelled.
This discussion has been closed.