Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

grade inflation/deflation

ckrajewskickrajewski Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
I looked for this in the archives but could not find a thread on it. Does UNC have an inflation or deflation policy in place?
Post edited by ckrajewski on

Replies to: grade inflation/deflation

• upstater05upstater05 Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    i can't tell you if there is an exact policy but i'm pretty sure deflation exists.
  • eadadeadad Registered User Posts: 2,759 Senior Member
    UNC does not have the grade inflation that many schools have. This fact is well known by the grad and professional schools so you need not worry about it. UNC works on a +/- system. An A is 4.0 but an A- is 3.75 so a person taking four equally weighted classes with 2 As and 2 A- would have a 3.87. The hard sciences (Bio, Chem, Physics) at UNC are graded on a curve as they are in most other schools and it is difficult to achieve an "A" in many classes.
  • ckrajewskickrajewski Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses; I ask this because I've been told law schools look for a high gpa (regardless of the school attended) accompanied by the high lsat.

Do either of you happen to know how the history department works with grading and teaching? I've gotten contradicting messages as the users on ****.com tank the history dept, but when I spoke to several of the professors and grad students there, they were very helpful.
  • infoplsinfopls Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    any body know?
  • eadadeadad Registered User Posts: 2,759 Senior Member
    ckrajewski

As I mentioned, grad and professional schools are fully aware of UNC's grading practices/policies and it should not hurt your chances of acceptance to law school. The fact that they use the +/- system can help as well because a B+ is worth more than the 3.0 that a B would yield under a conventional grading scale, so it all evens out.
This discussion has been closed.