Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Commuter School?

sofla1sofla1 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
Hello, my nephew is from out of state and is interested in this school but was told there was definitely more of a commuter vibe. I don't know if the person who told him was a graduate from way back or what. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies to: Commuter School?

• twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 6,615 Senior Member
    UNC-CH is most definitely not a commuter school.
  • ntk131998ntk131998 Registered User Posts: 357 Member
    Couldn't be less true. I know many people who live in chapel hill and even they stay in the dorms and rarely go home.
  • ITBgirlITBgirl Registered User Posts: 323 Member
    I would never say that about UNC. Most people are in-state, so they can go home, but they rarely do.
  • NCrentNCrent Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Freshman have to live on campus, so UNC is definitely NOT a commuter school. However, a lot of in-state kids do go home over the long weekends, fall break, etc.,.
  • InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Registered User Posts: 1,704 Senior Member
    There are some schools within the UNC system that are commuter schools, but UNC-CH most definitely is NOT one of them. Even going back a ways - Chapel Hill is the flagship school. I attended class there as a non-traditional student over 25 years ago and even then most students lived either on campus or in off-campus housing. Over holiday breaks it may be dead as a doornail, as the majority of students are in-state and so likely go home for holidays. All the kids I know at UNC-CH live within 30 minutes of campus but rarely come home except on holidays and over the summer.
This discussion has been closed.