Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Possible Reason for Waitlist at UNC Chapel Hill?

2»

Replies to: Possible Reason for Waitlist at UNC Chapel Hill?

• b16yerb16yer Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    I do not know whether or not this will help, but can your guidance counselor call admissions and let them know this is your top choice? Where have you been accepted?

I will have him try. I've been accepted at TCU, Texas AM, and Hendrix College
  • noname87noname87 Registered User Posts: 1,112 Senior Member
    FA at UNC is mostly focused on need not merit. Scholarships are few. Even your great stats will not likely qualify you for merit. However if you have financial need (based on the Profile and UNC calculations), they can be generous.
  • gandalf78gandalf78 Registered User Posts: 1,273 Senior Member
    OP: A couple of thoughts. First, regarding the waitlist, have your guidance counselor contact the admissions office ASAP and try to find out why you were waitlisted. My high school senior was waitlisted at a school; our guidance counselor spoke with someone in the admissions office there, who said that the problem was some lower grades in the first semester of senior year. The admissions officer also said that the waitlist was essentially divided into two -- those students for whom there was a possibility of coming off, and those for whom there was little or no chance of coming off. If you are on the "chance of coming off" waitlist based on what the admissions officer tells your guidance counselor, contact the admissions office quickly and let them know of your continued interest.

Second, if you are female, your chances may have been reduced somewhat, because there is a large cohort of OOS females who apply to UNC: according to the UNC common data set, 59% of the applicants to UNC last year were female, and the same percentage was accepted (although males and females were accepted at basically the same rate: 30%).

Third, UNC is limited to filling its freshmen class with 18% OOS students; so the competition for those slots is very intense.

Fourth, your essays may not have been as good as you thought.

Fifth, if you applied RD, then your competition may have been tougher, because a good number of slots would already have been filled by the time that the admissions officers looked at your file.

Finally, please remember that whether you are accepted or rejected, it is not a reflection on you as a person, or your inherent worth. Here is an article that I have found helpful over the course of the past year to keep things in perspective: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/15/opinion/sunday/frank-bruni-how-to-survive-the-college-admissions-madness.html?rref=collection/column/frank-bruni&_r=1

You still have some good schools where you have been accepted. Best of luck to you.

• veileddreamerveileddreamer Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    As a UNC student on full academic scholarship, this looks kinda odd. Your hard stats are roughly equal to mine (I am in state) and seem equal to my OOS friends that also received merit scholarships. At UNC, you get invited to a Scholars weekend if you are considered for a merit scholarship, other than the Robertson and Morehead-Cain which are separate from the actual UNC Scholars program (they're both their own "thing"). I am pretty sure our Scholars weekend already happened, so if you didn't get an invite to that, then sadly you are probably right in saying that you may not be considered for merit aid.
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 5,907 Senior Member
    Acceptance as an OOS student is very hard, and getting merit as an OOS student is even harder. Lots of students from OOS graduated at the very top of their HS class with very high test scores, and did not get merit or entry into honors. It appears to me that merit is saved primarily for in state kids. OOS students who receive merit seem to have something extra- like writing a book (true story). The majority of OOS students do not receive merit aid.

• AngelChen34AngelChen34 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    I was waitlisted too. I am out of state, in WA, also I am an international student. Just wondering when they will notify the waitlists their decision? SUPER NERVOUS AND DEPRESSED for the past few weeks
  • DevilStickDevilStick Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    UNC likely starts filling open slots from the wait list some time after the deadline for admitted students to accept enrollment. I don't think there's a set date for release of decisions - they likely just keep going down the wait list until they get enough enrollments to fill the class.
  • jtut2006jtut2006 Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    Which isnt many
2»
This discussion has been closed.