right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

UNC Transfer fall 2019

Replies to: UNC Transfer fall 2019

• Mcunn226Mcunn226 246 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I believe if you're transferring as a sophomore they'll want to see your standardized test scores as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • HSstudentNCHSstudentNC 424 replies2 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited October 2018
    I am an in state Exercise and Sport Science major, 4.0 GPA on 46 credits earned in community college, but I had enough AP credits to get my Associates. I graduated high school in 2017, so this academic year is technically only my 2nd year of college, but since I earned my Associates this summer, I am a junior by credit hours. In high school, I finished with a 4.327 GPA weighted, 3.61 unweighted, 1210 was my best SAT score, 24 ACT (as a sophomore, I did not retake). Junior applicants are not required to send SAT/ACT scores, however sophomores do.

I was in beta club, volunteering in physical therapy clinics (my profession of interest), health clubs, PTK in community college, co captain of my CC ultimate Frisbee team etc. Extracurriculars are important to Admissions. They want to see you get involved in things you are passionate about and that make a difference to you and others. I think it is beneficial for you joining the honors econ program. College GPA is also quite important as the average typically stays around the 3.7 range. Your high school GPA will be looked at as a factor in your admission due to the fact that you are applying as a sophomore. For junior applicants, they typically don't make a decision largely based on the applicant's high school grades. Essays will also be very important as that is where you set yourself apart and let admissions know why you would be a good fit for Carolina and Vice Versa. Recommendations are not usually a large factor for admission.

Since you are a prospective ECON major, I can give you some insight based on some friends of mine who are ECON majors or are taking those courses. Keep in mind this is based on their experiences, which may differ, so take this with a grain of salt. ECON is one of the tougher non-STEM majors that UNC offers. ECON 101 is definitely a weed out class and is one of the most difficult non-STEM introductory courses. Another class to watch out for is ECON 410, 400 level courses are advanced undergraduate courses and this one is regarded by a lot of students I know as one of the toughest courses they take at Carolina. It also is a prerequisite for admission in the Business school, so many take it. There are a good amount of resources on campus for you however if you are admitted, to help if needed. There is peer tutoring, ECON aid center, ample office hours etc.

Also, a side note regarding financial aid. The Carolina Covenant can only be applied if you qualify during your first year at Carolina. If you are admitted in 2019, don't qualify but later qualify in 2020, you won't receive the Covenant. I had this issue myself, but they are generous with aid regardless in my experience.
    @qocbd1
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • UNCISMYDREAMUNCISMYDREAM 180 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I was waitlisted last year and denied, do you guys think transferring after my junior year is a good idea with about 100 credits done by the end of Spring semester? Should I reapply again?
    · Reply · Share
  • Mcunn226Mcunn226 246 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    From UNC's Admissions Website:

"Students may transfer up to 75 semester hours from a four-year institution, or 64 hours from a two-year institution. A minimum of 45 semester hours must be earned at UNC-Chapel Hill in order to receive a degree from the University."

"Course credit is still awarded after the 75 or 64-hour limit is reached, but these excess hours do not count toward the 120 hours required for graduation. If a student has courses from a combination of two-year and four-year institutions, the maximum number of transferable hours is determined by the most recent institution attended."

https://admissions.unc.edu/credit/credit/transfer-equivalencies/
    · Reply · Share
  • NerdyNinja80NerdyNinja80 19 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited November 2018
    edited November 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • NerdyNinja80NerdyNinja80 19 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @everyone Hey guys I'm a 2018 UNC transfer student, I remember just last year I was up here combining through stats, comparing them to my own, and my god the anxiety I had up here when decisions were rolling out, everyone posting back to back rather if they got accepted or not. I could not believe my eyes when I saw my letter.

I am a Junior transfer from a community college, I had a 3.7 GPA there, and a 3.7GPA in high school graduated with honors from both institutions. I did not have to submit any SAT or ACT tests, as Juniors are excluded from it. I had virtually no community service hours at all, but I did take 6 AP classes in total in high school.

Also, a word of advice, do not let anyone up here or anywhere tell you that you can't get in or essay is complete garbage. Funny story I had asked this guy/girl up here who was a frequent poster what they thought about my essay, and they told me it was horrible, and that I should have written my essay like theirs with cliche topics about life achievements. Long story short that person got denied and I got in. Heres a secret you won't find in all of these college essay tutorials.

** Do not tell them what they want to hear, tell them what you have to say** << Focus on this.
    · Reply · Share
  • Chucho2456Chucho2456 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Hi all! I also transferred to UNC this Fall 2018. I just wanted to help out since last year's forum helped me out a lot. I transferred from a North Carolina CC so in-state. I only went to CC for one year but I overloaded so I left with 51 credits. I had to apply as a Sophomore and had to submit my HS grades. However, I actually didn't graduate from HS, I dropped out and got my GED. Since I applied as a Sophomore, I also had to submit SAT or ACT scores, I did not take it and was able to get it exempted (Due to being out of HS for a few years). My CC GPA was a 3.88, I was Vice President of our SGA and I volunteered in our CC food pantry. I really felt that my essays helped, I talked about my struggle with HS and how I ended up dropping out but picked myself back up and fought to get my education back. Also, remember that this will be stressful, I stressed so much last year and was pretty sure I was going to be denied. I ended up being denied by UNCW and NC State, but got into UNC. Feel free to ask me any questions!
    · Reply · Share
  • penntouscpenntousc 1285 replies3 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    Hey everyone!

I'll be applying to transfer as junior (I think) from an out of state community college in Pennsylvania.

Major: Media & Journalism (Advertising) or Business (Marketing), haven't decided yet
    Cumulative GPA: 3.69
    *I'm also pretty sure I've got nearly every single general education requirement completed

Courses in the spring: Financial Accounting, Principles of Micro, Principles of Macro, Philosophy, English Lit 19th & 20th Century

So I've got a bit of a unique situation... I graduated from high school in 2016 and had my heart set on USC (Southern Cal). I completed 32 units in my first year at community college and was admitted as a sophomore transfer into USC's Marshall School of Business, and I expected everything to go well at USC. This wasn't the case as it ended up being a poor fit for me, a lot of which had to do with location. While in LA, I realized how much I loved the east coast and my distaste for the school and city grew to the point that I'd basically had one foot out the door even though I was only one semester in. I was also struggling a ton with mental health issues that I'd buried deep in high school; this new and uncomfortable environment I'd thrown myself into had brought all of these issues to the surface. I went on a leave of absence in the middle of the Spring 2018 semester, following a semester in which I'd only completed 12 units for a 2.87 GPA and switched majors (later realized I'd made the wrong choice). I came back to USC this fall with more confidence than ever, and I was ready to put everything into school and extracurriculars in an attempt to make a home for myself on the west coast. Instead, I ended up in a bad living situation (we were the party house when I needed the opposite) and had also picked the wrong major, again. My struggles with mental health continued and about two weeks ago, they had gotten to a point where the only right decision was to leave USC to seek help, regroup, and find a new opportunity.

That is what brings me here. UNC was on my original list of schools during that year that I'd applied to USC, but I wouldn't have stood a chance applying as a sophomore because I only had a 2.7 GPA in high school and average SAT scores. I do expect to get a 4.0 in the spring at my community college, so my GPA should rise to a ~3.75, but I think my chances of admission are going to ride on my ability to convince the admissions committee that UNC is truly the right fit for me.

I've done a lot of research on the school, and it seems like a great little college town with welcoming students and amazing school spirit. I'll be visiting Chapel Hill at the beginning of the spring semester to get a feel for it, but it seems like a good environment for me. If anyone has any tips as to how else I could improve my chances, please let me know! I know a lot of you will be applying as in state students so I'm sure you know more about what they're looking for from applicants than I do. Thanks!
    edited November 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • xxeastcoastxxxxeastcoastxx 2 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Hey everyone, please CHANCE ME!

I'm considering applying to Chapel Hill next fall as a non traditional junior from a CC in Massachusetts. 28yr old "grandpa" here!

Major: (premed track) considering chemistry or physics
    Cumulative GPA: 3.6 (might go up after this fall)

Stem Courses/grades:
    Bio1: A-
    Coll Alg: A
    Chem1: A
    Anat/physio1: A-
    Pre Cal (summer): B

Fall courses: Calc 1, college physics 1, anat/physio 2. Should all be > or = to B+ this fall but we'll see.

STEM research intern at my CC.
    Recent research presentation at BSU (Bridgewater state U). Our research is about the affect of land use practices on native bee populations.

I'm interested in a molecular project which is a side project that uses genetic sequencing and amplification technology on pollen from our native bees to determine if they have a plant preference.

Recommendations: My BIO principles 1 teacher from last year runs our STEM program. He is also my advisor. He has his PHD, and I think he'd write me a good recommendation.

Extracurricular activities are lacking because of the internship, and my other part time job. I'm going to volunteer at my schools food pantry. I just want to help the undeserved.

I did really poor in HS. Barely graduating at 21yrs old. Kind of embarrassed to admit that. My teachers liked me because I was charming, polite, and always respectful but I skipped class, and did everything else that you could imagine was bad. I took a year off after HS, and during this period my life changed. One of those life altering tragedies occurred... my mother, who was not only a mother to me but like my best friend, passed away one weekend. She had overdosed on prescription pills at my older cousins house. I always used to watch out for her, and protect her. As I am her only son. I would always wake her up if I found her sleeping with her neck bent cutting of airways. There was nothing I could do this time.

I never talk about this to anyone, ever. If my sisters, other family members or friends mention her. I ignore them, make a stupid joke, or try to change the subject. I don't like to play the victim.

· Reply · Share
  • xxeastcoastxxxxeastcoastxx 2 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    After she passed away I started working. I had a great boss that looked out for me, and got me into working out and I've been bodybuilding since but there's always that void left inside me. I don't know exactly what caused her death, and I can't read the toxicology report till this day. Anyhow, this all ties back into my reason for wanting to become a physician. I want to learn about chemistry, pharmacology, physiology, and apply it to be there for people in need. Thanks for listening if you got this far.
    · Reply · Share
  • reidtwreidtw 51 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I'm currently a freshman at Syracuse University, double majoring in the Whitman School of Management and Newhouse School of Public Communications. Here are my stats:

High School:
    4.0 GPA
    32 ACT
    1380 SAT
    3 Sport Varsity Athlete, Captain of 1 team
    Academic Quiz Bowl
    Theater
    Youth Group Leader at local Church
    National Honor Society
    Honor Roll
    21 College/AP Credits

College:
    Looking at a 3.4ish GPA for first semester here at Syracuse
    17 Credits
    Entrepreneurship Club

Classes Currently Taking:
    Intro to Financial Accounting
    Perspective of Business and Management
    Communications and Society
    Practical Grammar for Public Communications
    Economic Ideas and Issues (Intro to Macro/Micro)
    Foundations of Human Behavior (Intro to Psychology)

Classes for Next Semester: (18 Credits)
    Business Analytics
    Intro to Managerial Accounting
    Multimedia Storytelling
    Intro to Public Relations
    Intro to Law and Physical Practice
    Oceanography

I'm applying to the College of Arts & Sciences as a sophomore, and hopefully applying to the Business School for the Spring 2020 semester.

I was rejected OOS Regular Decision last fall, and none of my family members attended UNC :/
    Please chance me and offer any advice! Thanks :)
    · Reply · Share
    @xxeastcoastxx seems like you've done pretty well with critical courses, so that's always good. I know one thing that UNC (as well as most top schools) look for is that 'why', as they're looking for students who've got a purpose for doing whatever it is they do, and you certainly do. I think you've definitely got a good chance if you maintain or raise that GPA, best of luck!
    · Reply · Share
    **REPOSTING because major and classes for spring have changed**

Hey everyone!

I'll be applying to transfer as junior because of units, but likely with 6 semesters left from an out of state community college in Pennsylvania.

Major: Economics
    Cumulative GPA: 3.69
    *I'm also pretty sure I've got nearly every single general education requirement completed

Courses in the spring: Calc 2, Principles of Micro, Principles of Macro, Stats 2, English Lit 19th & 20th Century

So I've got a bit of a unique situation... I graduated from high school in 2016 and had my heart set on USC (Southern Cal). I completed 32 units in my first year at community college and was admitted as a sophomore transfer into USC's Marshall School of Business, and I expected everything to go well at USC. This wasn't the case as it ended up being a poor fit for me, a lot of which had to do with location. While in LA, I realized how much I loved the east coast and my distaste for the school and city grew to the point that I'd basically had one foot out the door even though I was only one semester in. I was also struggling a ton with mental health issues that I'd buried deep in high school; this new and uncomfortable environment I'd thrown myself into had brought all of these issues to the surface. I went on a leave of absence in the middle of the Spring 2018 semester, following a semester in which I'd only completed 12 units for a 2.87 GPA and switched majors (later realized I'd made the wrong choice). I came back to USC this fall with more confidence than ever, and I was ready to put everything into school and extracurriculars in an attempt to make a home for myself on the west coast. Instead, I ended up in a bad living situation (we were the party house when I needed the opposite) and had also picked the wrong major, again. My struggles with mental health continued and about two weeks ago, they had gotten to a point where the only right decision was to leave USC to seek help, regroup, and find a new opportunity.

That is what brings me here. UNC was on my original list of schools during that year that I'd applied to USC, but I wouldn't have stood a chance applying as a sophomore because I only had a 2.7 GPA in high school and average SAT scores. I do expect to get a 4.0 in the spring at my community college, so my GPA should rise to a ~3.75, but I think my chances of admission are going to ride on my ability to convince the admissions committee that UNC is truly the right fit for me.

I've done a lot of research on the school, and it seems like a great little college town with welcoming students and amazing school spirit. I'll be visiting Chapel Hill at the beginning of the spring semester to get a feel for it, but it seems like a good environment for me. If anyone has any tips as to how else I could improve my chances, please let me know! I know a lot of you will be applying as in state students so I'm sure you know more about what they're looking for from applicants than I do. Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
    Your situation is unique, which could prove useful for writing a unique and interesting admissions essay. You've proved you can get good grades, which is good as well. I think if you write strong essays and get a good rec letter you'd be fine.
    · Reply · Share
    edited November 2018
    @reidtw if I had to guess, the only gripe they may have with your app is your GPA, since their average transfer GPA is a 3.6. If you get that up in the spring, I think you'll get in. Notoriously hard to be accepted to UNC as a freshman from OOS, and I'd guess that it's the main reason you didn't get in the first time around
    edited November 2018
    · Reply · Share
    Chance me, please!

I'm currently a freshman at Syracuse University, double majoring in the Whitman School of Management and Newhouse School of Public Communications. Here are my stats:

High School:
    4.0 GPA
    32 ACT
    1380 SAT
    3 Sport Varsity Athlete, Captain of 1 team
    Academic Quiz Bowl
    Theater
    Youth Group Leader at local Church
    National Honor Society
    Honor Roll

College:
    Looking at a 3.4ish GPA for first semester here at Syracuse
    17 Credits
    Entrepreneurship Club

Classes Currently Taking:
    Intro to Financial Accounting
    Perspective of Business and Management
    Communications and Society
    Practical Grammar for Public Communications
    Economic Ideas and Issues (Intro to Macro/Micro)
    Foundations of Human Behavior (Intro to Psychology)

Classes for Next Semester:
    Business Analytics
    Intro to Managerial Accounting
    Multimedia Storytelling
    Intro to Public Relations
    Intro to Law and Physical Practice
    Oceanography

I'm applying to the College of Arts & Sciences as a sophomore, and hopefully applying to the Business School for the Spring 2020 semester.

I was rejected OOS Regular Decision last fall, and none of my family members attended UNC :/
    Please chance me and offer any advice! Thanks :)
    · Reply · Share
  • 123nai123123nai123 13 replies11 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Reposting from another thread.

I’m currently a freshman at an NC Community College

My stats are:
    HS GPA: 3.33 W: 3.7
    SAT: 1400
    College GPA: 4.0 (a little worried because I’m only taking 13 hours this semester, but I’m taking 16 next semester and will have 41 transferable credits)

HS ECs:
    -Varsity Tennis
    -Student Council Secretary + Senior Class Treasurer
    -Debate Team
    -Student Research project (we basically gathered stream data and then presented it to city council to pass policy changes— I worked a lot more on the policy writing side)

College ECs:
    Mainly just paid work, but also lots of activism + political campaign work

A little worried about my lack of credits this semester, but my essays really really demonstrate passion for what I want to do (political science), so I’m kinda like half confident.
    · Reply · Share
  • 90smix90smix 464 replies7 threadsRegistered User Member
    Hey guys! I'm new here. Here's my stats.

I doubt I'll stand a chance because of my OOS status. I'm California community college student :P

GPA: 3.9
    Extracurriculars: YouTube and freelance writing/editing
    Job/Work Experience: part-time teacher
    Volunteer/Community service: 5+ years for hospice care & food banks, tutoring, teacher's assist

Intended Major: English
    Ethnicity: White
    · Reply · Share
    @90smix it's actually a lot easier (although still competitive) to gain admission as an OOS transfer than it is to be admitted as an OOS freshman! Based on what you posted, I'd guess you have pretty good chances. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • 90smix90smix 464 replies7 threadsRegistered User Member
    Oh seriously! That's surprising but also so exciting! :D Thank you.
    · Reply · Share