Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UNC Transfer fall 2019

Replies to: UNC Transfer fall 2019

• goldenhoursgoldenhours Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    Just rejected my admissions offer. I hope someone on the waitlist can have my spot. Best of luck!
  • Mozerella24Mozerella24 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    When they say the deadline to enroll is May 15, does that mean May 14 at 11:59 or May 15 at 11:59
  • reidtwreidtw Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    @Mozerella24 that's what I'm wondering
  • Mcunn226Mcunn226 Registered User Posts: 255 Junior Member
    Most likely tonight (May 15) at 11:59 Eastern.
  • lee.sophia32@gmail.com[email protected] Registered User Posts: 25 Junior Member
    when do we get our rooming assignments?
  • HSstudentNCHSstudentNC Registered User Posts: 425 Member
    I got my housing assignment in Early-Mid June but it varies some for other transfers. @[email protected]
  • hbh2017hbh2017 Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    @HSstudentNC Does everyone have an enrollment checklist header on their my Carolina if only on the waitlist and not admitted yet?
    I’m not sure. I don’t remember seeing an enrollment checklist in Connect Carolina last year, although I wasn’t waitlisted. I only remember the To-Do items header. @hbh2017
  • wwu9907wwu9907 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Just got accepted from waiting list
    @wwu9907 How did you find out about acceptance?
    @wwu9907. Are you going to accept your offer?
  • daniiellesaradaniiellesara Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Is anyone going to the July transfer orientation? I don't know if I want to reserve my spot for the May date or July.
  • writeredwritered Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    @HSstudentNC or any other experienced transfer students: Do you know anything about the Transfer United program? Do you recommend it? I heard someone say it's more geared for junior transfers rather than sophomores. Is that true? What are the advantages/disadvantages, and would you say that Carmichael is a good place for transfers to be? I've heard Morrison is a great dorm for sophomores in general, and very social. Thanks for any info!
  • writeredwritered Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Housing question in general: Of course transfers students are coming in with different sets of experience. I'd imagine that older students may not want to go back to dorm life. But for those who are younger -- just starting over at a new school at 18 or 19, as sophomores -- are you planning to live on campus? Any experienced transfer students who see this: How easy or difficult is it to become integrated into student life on campus when you haven't had the first year experience, of being in a dorm (or Granville) with all brand-new college students? Any input helpful, thanks!
    edited May 19
    So I’ll try to answer these questions the best that I can. For context, I lived in Hardin residence hall (right in front of Morrison) which was a smaller suite style hall that was a pretty good experience overall. Quiet, plenty of study lounges, helpful RA’s and good room/suite mates despite them all being 19 and me 20 at the time (1 year age difference didn’t matter). I came from a community college without that true “first year experience” upon arriving to UNC.

As for the Transfer United program in Carmichael, I knew a few people in it last year and they said it was beneficial to be living with others who share that commonality of coming from another university/college. It isn’t necessarily targeting junior transfers but statistically more junior transfers are in the program if I remember correctly. Carmichael is a very nice dorm and in my opinion, the best location of all the suite style halls. It is located right next to the SRC (Student Rec center), very close to south campus dining hall, student stores and about a 5 minute walk to classes. It should be noted that the suites in Carmichael are 4 rooms in which 8 people share 1 bathroom. Morrison is the same way.

I have been in Morrison a handful of times and saw the suites and overall layout. There are plenty of places to study, there is an art studio, outdoor basketball court right by the dorm, and the campus safety office and UNC police station is located right next to it if safety is a concern. As someone who lived right next to Morrison, there is a tendency for it to get a little noisy on Friday and Saturday night but during the school week it’s usually quiet. There are 10 floors and over 1,000 students who live there, so there is bound to be some noise of course. I do notice that the majority of people I know from Morrison were indeed sophomores but there are juniors who live there are well. In my opinion, the half mile walk to classes is not ideal (especially if it’s a rainy day or hot/cold out) but is good exercise.

As for your question on integration into campus life without really having the “first year experience”, UNC’s week of welcome (begins before First week of class and ends at the end of the first week) had many events for transfers to meet and seek organizations or clubs they are interested in. Fall Fest, right before the first week of class is where literally hundreds of groups try to give information about their groups/clubs and it’s a great opportunity to seek clubs you are interested in and maybe join one similar to one you participated at in your previous school. UNC has Transfer student ambassadors will also be a resource for you. In addition, there are plenty of transfer specific events for you to meet other transfers during the week of welcome.

Coming from a smaller community college where I just lived at home, I was slightly overwhelmed at the transition at first, but by Mid-September I was no longer wary.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I’d be happy to answer them.
    @writered