right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

UNC Class of 2023 EA Discussion Thread

Replies to: UNC Class of 2023 EA Discussion Thread

• EsselEssel 196 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited February 24
    @Youngmetrolina - Did you take AP Spanish Lang? You should place out if you did (I think you need a score of 4, you get credit for 203,204). AP Spanish Lit gives you credit for an added course-260!
    edited February 24
    · Reply · Share
  • YoungmetrolinaYoungmetrolina 8 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    @Essel lol I took spanish three. I didn't take AP this year because for the longest time I was gonna do engineering and wouldn't have it as a requirement but now that I'm probably going to Chapel Hill I'll have to place out of 203. I took a practice subject test and according to that score(after 9 months of doing no Spanish, no review whatsoever) It says I would place INTO 203. So I'm just curious how hard people think the UNC exam is and if I should study super hard for it or wing it and if I don't do well buckle down for the subject test
    · Reply · Share
  • EsselEssel 196 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Youngmetrolina - My son at UNC took Spanish-3, as well, in HS. You will place into Spanish 203, unless you have AP credit for Spanish Lang/ Lit. They are rather particular with FL. My son was taking Span 203 this semester, but he looked into dropping it, because he was spending close to 12 hours a week on it. His options were to suck up and finish it with whatever grade; or drop it, and take 3 courses of another FL- He will not be able to retake Spanish, because it's already past the 10 days you're given to drop a class without penalty.

If possible at all, try and study hard for the AP test, or the Subject SAT, see if the score will let you place out of it, altogether! (Unless, of course, you love languages and want to minor in one, or something!)
    · Reply · Share
  • jdogNCjdogNC 63 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    My daughter took through Spanish 3 in HS and placed into SPAN 105 her freshman year. She did a 5 week study abroad in Salamanca the summer between Freshman and Sophomore year to complete her Spanish requirement. A more fun, life changing experience if it fits for you.
    · Reply · Share
  • YoungmetrolinaYoungmetrolina 8 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    @Essel Well sounds like I'm going to study pretty hard for the subject test/ placement test and hope for the best. I don't regret not taking Spanish this year, but its certainly hurting right now. I wish I had the knack for it my brother had, he took the UNC placement test four years ago right after he had gotten back from a missions trip in Peru and he easily placed out of it, considering he had just lived in the language for a week or so. good luck to your son with 203!
    · Reply · Share
  • transferluktransferluk 40 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    For those of you who have declined your admission, I’m curious as to where you chose to go instead?
    · Reply · Share
  • tkdqueen035tkdqueen035 50 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @transferluk University of Southern California
    · Reply · Share
  • Special*K*Special*K* 51 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @tkdqueen035 Do you mind if I ask what other schools you were accepted to? Congrats on USC!!
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks! I was accepted into University of Virgina (OOS), Villanova, Georgetown, and have a full-ride to Indiana.
    · Reply · Share
    Great choice! Are you OOS? What made you choose usc? @tkdqueen035
    · Reply · Share
  • Special*K*Special*K* 51 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @tkdqueen035 My D also applied to USC, but is still waiting for a decision. She was accepted to UNC also so I was wondering if you applied to similar schools. Looks like UNC and USC are the only ones they have in common.
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 26
    @transferluk I am OOS! I actually got into USC's World Bachelor in Business Program which is a year at USC, a year in Hong Kong, a year in Milan and then you get to chose the school you want to go back to for senior year and I would be able to receive a degree at each location (3). It is just an unparalleled experience that I could not pass up.
    edited February 26
    · Reply · Share
    @tkdqueen035 wow that’s amazing! Well I’m sure you will do great there, congratulations on all your acceptances!
    · Reply · Share
    @transferluk Thank you so much! Good luck with the rest of this process!
    · Reply · Share
  • CaviteeCavitee 147 replies12 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @transferluk In State for UNC daughter will be attending (OOS) UVa. Was accepted BC (CSOM), IU (Kelley -Honors), University of Richmond, scholarships to UGa and Furman. Waiting on Emory RD but already put deposit in for UVa
    · Reply · Share
    That’s awesome, congratulations! She will love it there! @Cavitee
    · Reply · Share
  • catmomof3catmomof3 119 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @transferluk university of Chicago
    · Reply · Share
    That’s an amazing school! Congratulations @catmomof3
    · Reply · Share
  • WoljoeWoljoe 5 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Yes. You can ask them directly. That's what we did and my son is currently a freshman. Not really a big deal unless you want to attend their summer travel programs in the summer (DS chose the London trip and loved it) or one of the on campus summer programs. Originally wanted the premed program but it filled up fast so I'd move quickly if Chapel Hill is your first choice.
    · Reply · Share