Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

OOS waitlist

2»

Replies to: OOS waitlist

• cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 27,961 Senior Member
    It’s usually true that OOSers as a group have higher academic stats than the in staters for schools like UNC- CH. Its just a fact. The accept rate is far lower for OOSers too.

Now the opposite can be true at some Top private colleges that want to have as much geographic diversity but get the lion’s share of applications from their own state, sometimes within their own city. Often those will have two stacks at Admission. In State and OOS like the top STate schools. The in state stack will be much higher but, the AO is going to want much more accepts from the OOS pile and they are not restricted to the <20% quota that a lot of these state schools can only accept from the OOS.
  • fancypants2019fancypants2019 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    @lakegirly you make it seem as if all the in-state students are unqualified to get into carolina. Yes, on average their scores and shear "brain-power" might be a bit less than those of OOS students, but I would say vast majority of Carolina in-state students were the top of their classes with high test scores. Don't generalize your perception of UNC because your daughter didn't enjoy her time. Your comment about the Silent Sam is just nonsense. Yes, it has been a point of contention recently, but activism is high at Carolina and students stand up for what they believe in.I agree, the 82% NC cap might be annoying, but that does not take away from the "quality" of in-state students either
  • rts3234rts3234 Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    Update: rejected
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 6,971 Senior Member
    edited June 19
    Carolina students stand up for what they believe in, and activism is high. That’s one of the things my OOS daughter loved about the school. That is part of fit. To each his own. This school is not for everyone, but no school is.

My D loved her 4 years. By mid October of her first year she was very involved and had friends from NC as well as from around the entire country. Yes OOS students generally have very high stats ( this is not always true), but don’t kid yourself. My daughter had plenty of incredibly smart friends who grew up in NC...it is naive to think that there are few high stats kids attending from instate. Is there more diversity at UNC in terms of academics? Of course...it’s a state school. Is it hard to find “quality” students as @lakegirly suggests? Absolutely not. And, let me remind everybody that we don’t only learn from those with perfect SAT scores. We also learn a lot from young people who grew up with no electricity and a mother who worked 4 jobs to put food on the table...yet still managed to get in to UNC as an OOS student. That’s another thing my upper middle class OOS’er loved...the chance to expand outside of her homogeneous HS bubble.

What did my OOS D gain?
    - a diverse group of friends from all over the country/world
    - closeness with several professors
    - four years of research and 5 publications
    - outstanding internships/research positions
    - 3 major leadership roles
    - intellectual stimulation both in class and socially
    - acceptance to a two-year highly competitive gap program
    - phi beta kappa as a junior

@lakegirly UNC might not be a good fit for your daughter...I wish her luck...but many from OOS love it. My daughter had a fabulous four years and graduated with a very high gpa ( she worked very hard for this) and an incredible resume....which will come in hardly when she fill out her next round of applications next year.

As I mentioned, UNC is not for everybody. No school is. And...there will be professors who are tough graders. Many students do just fine with them and know what is necessary to get the A.

edited June 19
    Wherever you go in life there will always be a teacher/professor/boss/coworker who you feel is less than “ideal.” That will happen everywhere. The key is to learn how to navigate, self advocate, attend office hours, etc so as to succeed in these situations. That’s a valuable skill.

edited June 19
    @lakegirly I am sorry that your daughter did not enjoy her experience, but bashing any school is not the answer. It comes across as sour grapes combined with high school complaining. I hope your D finds a school that makes her happy.