right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Chance Me - UNC-Chapel Hill In-State

Replies to: Chance Me - UNC-Chapel Hill In-State

• UNCCHHopeful12UNCCHHopeful12 16 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Hi guys, I just received my score for the SAT School Day Test and I got a 1440 (720 EBRW, 720 M). I’ll likely be able to pull up the score into a 1500+ superscored by bringing up my math score by studying over the summer. I’ll also likely end up with a low 4 weighted GPA and my unweighted GPA will likely be a 3.54/4 by the end of my junior year. How first this affect my chances at Chapel Hill? Are there any colleges that the posters listed before that can be considered safeties?
    · Reply · Share
    @anon145 @chb088 @doctorunusual @scubadive @mountainmama19 I would really appreciate some insight from you all regarding the earlier post since you guys seem to be familiar with UNC Chapel Hill admissions 🙂.
    · Reply · Share
  • anon145anon145 610 replies7 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited May 2
    UNC rarely takes kids not in the top 10% of the class if they are "regular" students. I would only consider UNC a super reach for you (your class rank is not good, and your UW GPA is not fabulous).. UNC knows all kids in public schools in NC take the ACT but probably won't hold it against you if you don't submit it (which would hurt you). I would look into UNC charlotte, NC State, App state, and UNC - G and UNC wilmington. NC state (if you do not pick college of engineering) is a match/reach the rest are match/safeties
    edited May 2
    · Reply · Share
  • chb088chb088 939 replies31 threadsRegistered User Member
    I agree with anon145. I still think your best chance for UNC is to go elsewhere, get great grades, and transfer in. But you should apply anyway. Congrats on the SAT Score!
    · Reply · Share
  • fancypants2019fancypants2019 45 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Hi agree with the posters. UNC really is selective with class rank and they really target kids in the top 10% of their class. It is not impossible, but given your GPA and rank, I would say Chapel Hill will be a reach for you. I would also consider the other schools mentioned above and transfer in (as long as you do well).
    · Reply · Share
    @anon145 @chb088 @fancypants2019 Thank you all so much for the replies! I’ll make sure to keep in mind that UNC Chapel Hill is still a reach (it surprises me that any SAT score cannot somewhat offset class rank but I understand that class rank is a better indicator of future success). Would your college recommendations change at all now that my SAT score has increased?

Side note: I’d like to add that I believe I can get an 800 on math (which would bring my score up to a 1520 superscored); I didn’t focus very much on the math section because I got tired towards the end of the test and that’s partially why I scored low.
    · Reply · Share
    @UNCCHHopeful12 I saw your SAT score that is fabulous. however, If I understand your class rank is around 40%. So you have test score +, but GPA and class rank -. Use naviance if you have it and use your own judgement. The only problem is Naviance doesn't include class rank and the GPAs are often not accurate in Naviance
    · Reply · Share
    @anon145 Based on Naviance, I fall right around the outer area of accepted applicants. I think having a low GPA/class rank at my school is not necessarily the same as having it at other schools because I attend a top 15 public school in the state, so the competitiveness may be considered. FWIW, about half of the applicants from my school get accepted. Also, my class rank as of now is below the 50th percentile (189/~360) but that lackluster rank can be kind of attributed to low grades in the 4 AP classes I took this year. Do you think getting Cs in these classes will be considered less because of me taking 4 APs in a semester? I was a straight A-B student (only 3 Bs leading up to junior year) until junior year, where I got two Cs, one B, and one A, and I’ll likely get two As and two Bs this semester. This should bring me back into the top 33% of my class (I was 5th in the class in sophomore year) and I was wondering if you think that that would be at least a moderately competitive application now that I have given some more information about my school and my grades/class rank.
    · Reply · Share
    as everyone has agreed consider UNC chapel hill a super reach; however there are lots of great UNC schools and depending on what you are interested in, you can choose a college and transfer to UNC CH later. I know an indian male who got a 33 ACT had much higher GPA than you higher class rank but just out of top 10% also T15 public high school and he did not get in this year.
    · Reply · Share
    @anon145 OK, thank you so much for the information! I'll make sure that I regard UNC as a reach and look at other schools. Once again, thank you so much for all the replies! They were really helpful. :smile:
    · Reply · Share
  • doctorunusualdoctorunusual 40 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Hey, solid SAT score! To make up for your GPA/class rank being on the lower side I'd suggest finding a hook. Is there a cause you believe in that you can contribute to in a significant way? Or maybe are you a first gen student? These would help, but being in the top 10% is also important so try and work on that still. Also just to let you know, the C's are going to hurt your application even if they were AP.
    · Reply · Share
    I think you should apply to all the good in state schools and see what happens. NCSU may take you with a high SAT/lower rank. Apply to NCSU, UNCC, App, UNCW, as well as UNC. If you get great grades your first semester, you may consider transferring to UNC. Or, you may fall in love with your first school! Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • doctorunusualdoctorunusual 40 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Counties also play a role in decisions. It's typically harder to get in from wake and meck county.
    · Reply · Share
    The common data set says a ridiculously large percentage are top 10% of their high school class. That’s for all counties. So unfortunately for OP, his low class rank is most likely a deal breaker.
    · Reply · Share
  • mountainmama19mountainmama19 99 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Maybe consider taking SAT subject tests to have some more good scores to help show them your academic ability. Unfortunately though, GPA is still a big factor. I just don't think you can get yours up enough in time. I feel so bad because everyone is telling you to look elsewhere when this is obviously your dream school but its just not that realistic. My main tip for right now is to start your essays early, sometime in the summer, and make sure they are absolutely perfect. Essays can really help a lot! Also, what percentage do you anticipate your class rank going up to? UNC has 99% of admitted students in the top half of the class and 78% in the top tenth just for reference. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
    @mountainmama19 @chb088 @doctorunusual
    Thank you all so much for the replies. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you—I was kinda busy with AP exam week.

@chb088 Thanks so much for the advice. :blush:

@doctorunusual I’m in Union County. Does that help or hurt my case?

@mountainmama19 Thank you so much for the advice. It was really helpful. As to your question, I realistically see myself applying to colleges with a 4.1296/5 GPA, which I estimate to be ranked anywhere from 100 to 60 out of 363. Does this affect anything?
    · Reply · Share
  • damon30damon30 1147 replies5 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.5455 (these took a hit because of the Cs I got in some of my AP classes)

This is what sunk your chances. If you really were dead-set on UNC, you were poorly advised to take more than five AP classes. Basically, they expect all competitive applications to have at least 5 APs/DEs and then go with the UW GPA. Your GPA is just too low: https://gazette.unc.edu/2013/01/08/study-finds-that-more-ap-classes-may-not-be-better/
    From now on, when Kretchmar and Farmer read applications, they won’t be looking for more than five AP or IB courses. “There’s no penalty for taking more than five,” Farmer said, “but once you have five, you’ve jumped through the meaningful hoop, as far as we can see.”

Starting with the 2013–14 admissions season, this is how the whole admissions staff reading applications plans to view AP and IB course loads.

Either go the CC route and transfer to UNC, or else set your sights on NC State.
    · Reply · Share
  • dkahfdfhkdkahfdfhk 232 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    UNC is really iffy to chance tbh. I had a 1460 top 10% of the class with 8 aps and a diverse set of EC’s and I didn’t get in.
    · Reply · Share
  • fancypants2019fancypants2019 45 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @dkahfdfhk were you in-state or out of state?
    · Reply · Share
    @damon30 I actually did take only 5 APs; I took AP World in 9th grade and AP Calc AB, AP Bio, AP English Language and Composition, and AP US Government in 11th grade. I’m planning on taking 5 more in my senior year.

@dkahfdfhk I’m applying in-state and it seems to me that you might have been out of state. Were you in-state or out of state?
    · Reply · Share