right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

Chance Me - UNC-Chapel Hill In-State

13»

Replies to: Chance Me - UNC-Chapel Hill In-State

• damon30damon30 1147 replies5 threads Senior Member
    I actually did take only 5 APs; I took AP World in 9th grade and AP Calc AB, AP Bio, AP English Language and Composition, and AP US Government in 11th grade. I’m planning on taking 5 more in my senior year.

For UNC, that would be five too many. They look for five AP/DE classes total. Whatever AP classes you took that you weren't prepared for are the ones that should have been regular honors classes. Hindsight is 20/20, but this may benefit others who are considering UNC and still planning their schedules.
    · Reply · Share
  • dkahfdfhkdkahfdfhk 244 replies3 threads Junior Member
    I was in state. Should’ve made that clearer sorry. @fancypants2019 @UNCCHHopeful12
    · Reply · Share
  • UTSquaredUTSquared 97 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Union County will probably be a wash, since it is basically a Charlotte suburb. Won't hurt you like Wake or Mecklenburg, but won't help like being from one of the more rural counties would. I guess that SAT score might give you a puncher's chance, but my daughter had very similar grades to you (they didn't have class rank at her school) and didn't get in as an instate. Keep doing as well as you can on the grades, but where it may really help you is on your essays. You self-evaluated them as middle of the road, you should try to get some help with them and make them as good as you can, and maybe you'll catch someone's eye on the AdCom. Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • UNCCHHopeful12UNCCHHopeful12 17 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @UTSquared Thank you so much for the reply! I'll try to make sure my essays are as good as they can be. Also, it seems plausible that I will be able to bring up my SAT score to a 1520+. If my GPA is around a 4.05 weighted and I do get a 1520+, do you think I would have at least a 1 in 4 chance of getting in, given that my essays are good?
    · Reply · Share
  • UTSquaredUTSquared 97 replies2 threads Junior Member
    @UNCCHHopeful12 I would certainly like to think that anyone with a 1520 SAT coming from instate would have at least a 1 in 4 chance of getting in, even with grades that are on the low end of what they usually take. Being male probably helps you a slight bit at the margins as well, since the student body is skewed 59/41 female. Definitely worth taking your shot at it, but please make sure you have your back up plans because almost no one is a sure thing when it comes to college admissions at a competitive school like Carolina. Good luck to you!
    · Reply · Share
    @UTSquared Thank you so much for the reply! This gives me some hope. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • UNCCH21UNCCH21 2 replies1 threads New Member
    I am a junior this year. Wondering where did you get in?
    · Reply · Share
    @UNCCH21 I haven’t heard back from any colleges yet. I’ll let you know when I get my decisions🙂
    · Reply · Share
  • nervoushahanervoushaha 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Sorry to bug, but did you get in?
    · Reply · Share
  • sgiles88sgiles88 1 replies0 threads New Member
    That was my question...where do you live? Your chances will be affected by what part of the state you live in as well. My caucasian son from Wake county got in (he's probably not going as it was his back up school) but even with his amazing SAT, ACT and grades, I was a little surprised because of being in the biggest pool of applicants. But maybe my being an alumni helped. Though apparently it doesn't as much as it used to. Plus I don't give them any money!
    · Reply · Share