Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance Me - UNC-Chapel Hill In-State

Replies to: Chance Me - UNC-Chapel Hill In-State

• doctorunusualdoctorunusual Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Hey, solid SAT score! To make up for your GPA/class rank being on the lower side I'd suggest finding a hook. Is there a cause you believe in that you can contribute to in a significant way? Or maybe are you a first gen student? These would help, but being in the top 10% is also important so try and work on that still. Also just to let you know, the C's are going to hurt your application even if they were AP.
  • chb088chb088 Registered User Posts: 936 Member
    I think you should apply to all the good in state schools and see what happens. NCSU may take you with a high SAT/lower rank. Apply to NCSU, UNCC, App, UNCW, as well as UNC. If you get great grades your first semester, you may consider transferring to UNC. Or, you may fall in love with your first school! Good luck!
  • doctorunusualdoctorunusual Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Counties also play a role in decisions. It's typically harder to get in from wake and meck county.
  • chb088chb088 Registered User Posts: 936 Member
    The common data set says a ridiculously large percentage are top 10% of their high school class. That’s for all counties. So unfortunately for OP, his low class rank is most likely a deal breaker.
  • mountainmama19mountainmama19 Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    Maybe consider taking SAT subject tests to have some more good scores to help show them your academic ability. Unfortunately though, GPA is still a big factor. I just don't think you can get yours up enough in time. I feel so bad because everyone is telling you to look elsewhere when this is obviously your dream school but its just not that realistic. My main tip for right now is to start your essays early, sometime in the summer, and make sure they are absolutely perfect. Essays can really help a lot! Also, what percentage do you anticipate your class rank going up to? UNC has 99% of admitted students in the top half of the class and 78% in the top tenth just for reference. Good luck!
  • UNCCHHopeful12UNCCHHopeful12 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    @mountainmama19 @chb088 @doctorunusual
    Thank you all so much for the replies. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you—I was kinda busy with AP exam week.

@chb088 Thanks so much for the advice. :blush:

@doctorunusual I’m in Union County. Does that help or hurt my case?

@mountainmama19 Thank you so much for the advice. It was really helpful. As to your question, I realistically see myself applying to colleges with a 4.1296/5 GPA, which I estimate to be ranked anywhere from 100 to 60 out of 363. Does this affect anything?
  • damon30damon30 Registered User Posts: 1,152 Senior Member
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.5455 (these took a hit because of the Cs I got in some of my AP classes)

This is what sunk your chances. If you really were dead-set on UNC, you were poorly advised to take more than five AP classes. Basically, they expect all competitive applications to have at least 5 APs/DEs and then go with the UW GPA. Your GPA is just too low: https://gazette.unc.edu/2013/01/08/study-finds-that-more-ap-classes-may-not-be-better/
    From now on, when Kretchmar and Farmer read applications, they won’t be looking for more than five AP or IB courses. “There’s no penalty for taking more than five,” Farmer said, “but once you have five, you’ve jumped through the meaningful hoop, as far as we can see.”

Starting with the 2013–14 admissions season, this is how the whole admissions staff reading applications plans to view AP and IB course loads.

Either go the CC route and transfer to UNC, or else set your sights on NC State.
  • dkahfdfhkdkahfdfhk Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    UNC is really iffy to chance tbh. I had a 1460 top 10% of the class with 8 aps and a diverse set of EC’s and I didn’t get in.
  • fancypants2019fancypants2019 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    @dkahfdfhk were you in-state or out of state?
    @damon30 I actually did take only 5 APs; I took AP World in 9th grade and AP Calc AB, AP Bio, AP English Language and Composition, and AP US Government in 11th grade. I’m planning on taking 5 more in my senior year.

@dkahfdfhk I’m applying in-state and it seems to me that you might have been out of state. Were you in-state or out of state?
  • damon30damon30 Registered User Posts: 1,152 Senior Member
    I actually did take only 5 APs; I took AP World in 9th grade and AP Calc AB, AP Bio, AP English Language and Composition, and AP US Government in 11th grade. I’m planning on taking 5 more in my senior year.

For UNC, that would be five too many. They look for five AP/DE classes total. Whatever AP classes you took that you weren't prepared for are the ones that should have been regular honors classes. Hindsight is 20/20, but this may benefit others who are considering UNC and still planning their schedules.
  • dkahfdfhkdkahfdfhk Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    I was in state. Should’ve made that clearer sorry. @fancypants2019 @UNCCHHopeful12
  • UTSquaredUTSquared Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    Union County will probably be a wash, since it is basically a Charlotte suburb. Won't hurt you like Wake or Mecklenburg, but won't help like being from one of the more rural counties would. I guess that SAT score might give you a puncher's chance, but my daughter had very similar grades to you (they didn't have class rank at her school) and didn't get in as an instate. Keep doing as well as you can on the grades, but where it may really help you is on your essays. You self-evaluated them as middle of the road, you should try to get some help with them and make them as good as you can, and maybe you'll catch someone's eye on the AdCom. Good luck.
    @UTSquared Thank you so much for the reply! I'll try to make sure my essays are as good as they can be. Also, it seems plausible that I will be able to bring up my SAT score to a 1520+. If my GPA is around a 4.05 weighted and I do get a 1520+, do you think I would have at least a 1 in 4 chance of getting in, given that my essays are good?
  • UTSquaredUTSquared Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    @UNCCHHopeful12 I would certainly like to think that anyone with a 1520 SAT coming from instate would have at least a 1 in 4 chance of getting in, even with grades that are on the low end of what they usually take. Being male probably helps you a slight bit at the margins as well, since the student body is skewed 59/41 female. Definitely worth taking your shot at it, but please make sure you have your back up plans because almost no one is a sure thing when it comes to college admissions at a competitive school like Carolina. Good luck to you!