right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Thursday, June 11 at 7pm ET to hear from students on how COVID-19 impacted their college plans and current on-campus experiences. Zai, Ethan, and Rohan will share information about their college and application experiences. REGISTER NOW!
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

UNC-Chapel Hill Housing Question (time sensitive)

Hello! I am going to be an out-of-state transfer to UNC. On my college tour, the tour guide mentioned that three dorms on campus will provide in-state tuition to out-of-state students after their first year but I forgot to write them down. If anyone knows which dorms they are I'd be very grateful as I'd like to apply for housing for one of those dorms. Thanks!
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UNC-Chapel Hill Housing Question (time sensitive)

  • jdogNCjdogNC 70 replies0 threads Junior Member
    edited May 2019
    Doesn't sound correct at all. Establishing NC residency for instate tuition is very difficult, if not impossible, just by moving to NC as a student. I would count on paying OOS tuition for you tenor at UNC. Check out all the requirements at this link.


    If your parents are still paying your way and they are out of state, then you are probably stuck. Would advise you only have a shot if you get a NC drivers license, vote in the state, have car registered in the state, don't rely on funds from someone that lives in another state, have a job in NC and pay taxes and have your permanent residence in NC and those are an absolute minimum. The old trick of getting instate residence by going to school doesn't work any more. I doubt a dorm is a permanent address instate since you only have 9 month leases, even at Granville Towers.
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • Mcunn226Mcunn226 267 replies9 threads Junior Member
    Under North Carolina law, to qualify for in-state residency, you must show that you:

    Have established your legal residence (domicile) in North Carolina, and
    Have maintained that domicile for at least twelve (12) consecutive months before the beginning of the term, and
    Have a residentiary presence in the state, and
    Intend to make North Carolina your permanent home indefinitely (rather than being in North Carolina solely to attend college)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity