right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

How can UNC-Chapel Hill have an average admit enrolled GPA of 4.7?

13»

Replies to: How can UNC-Chapel Hill have an average admit enrolled GPA of 4.7?

• RichInPittRichInPitt 2078 replies33 threads Senior Member
    BTW, I would expect a student in an AP class to get at least a 3 on an AP test.

That’s like saying you expect all Freshmen to get a C or better in all of their courses.

(Actually, it’s saying you expect HS students to get a C or better in college Freshman courses).

I’m sure most people go in to either expecting to do that. It doesn’t always happen.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2078 replies33 threads Senior Member
    Fwiw, my one daughter had a 4.8 and my other should end up with a 5.56.

Weighted GPAs are pretty meaningless unless completely documented and standardized.
    · Reply · Share
  • Waiting4acallWaiting4acall 10 replies0 threads New Member
    As a NC parent, I will add that the private schools, home schools and some charters still grade on a 6.0 scale. The public schools converted to a 5.0 scale.

One of our local private schools has a high acceptance rate into UNC--they grade on a 6.0 scale and call all classes "honors" (5.0) so you are taking "honors" PE, "honors" life skills, etc. They routinely send kids with over 5.0.

· Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 13425 replies31 threads Senior Member
    @RichInPitt, well, I certainly would have a problem with anyone getting credit for an "F". And many colleges don't allow you to transfer in classes where you got lower than a "C" from another college (which is kind of like what we are talking about when it comes to test credit). So no, I don't think kids who score lower than a 3 on an AP test should get credit no matter what grade they actually got in class.
    · Reply · Share
    "UNC is a great college but it’s a little misleading to state 4.7 as the average accepted GPA."

I don't see why this matters or why anyone should care . . .
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 2111 replies33 threads Senior Member
    "UNC is a great college but it’s a little misleading to state 4.7 as the average accepted GPA."

I don't see why this matters or why anyone should care . . .

It matters when prospective students (especially OOS) are looking to apply to UNC and they look at the CDS and see an average gpa of 4.7 and think they won’t get accepted because they “only” have a 4.35 GPA and don’t realize they are competitive for UNC but don’t apply.

I personally think that transparency is a good thing especially when paying $75 per application and spending time to complete college specific essays and applications.
    · Reply · Share
  • GKUnionGKUnion 608 replies15 threads Member
    I pay zero attention to reported average GPA nonsense. It’s the Three-card Monte of the college admission game.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 4870 replies86 threads Senior Member
    GKUnion wrote: »
    I pay zero attention to reported average GPA nonsense. It’s the Three-card Monte of the college admission game.

So true. I actually have more respect for schools who leave that field blank in the CDS than some of those that do crazy machinations to get a number.

Over the years I have spoken with many an IR Dept and another kicker is that the way the IR Dept calculates avg gpa of matriculants is not always the way it’s done in admissions when reviewing applications.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1NJParent1NJParent 2197 replies37 threads Senior Member
    Because of unevenness of grading, variations in course rigor and grade inflation almost everywhere, GPA is nearly meaningless for top students. There're some exceptions, of course, particularly for some very large public universities that adopt GPA formulas to lessen the amount of workload in processing the large number of applications (primarily for their in-state applicants for whom grading may be somewhat more consistent) they receive. I agree with @Mwfan1921 that, for the most rigorous schools, GPA-related sections C11 and C12 in the their CDSs are generally left blank, and properly so.
    · Reply · Share
    ^ I agree with all of the above. Looking at GPA really only is worthwhile if you are applying to an in-state school that weighs GPA pretty heavily. When it comes to a school like UNC, because OOS are only allowed to be 15% of the freshman class, it's tough regardless.
    · Reply · Share