right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

my chances of getting into UNC-Chapel hill

AceRedAceRed 31 replies2 threads Junior Member
Hi guys my previous discussion was in the wrong category sorry about that. So here it is, in the right category this time!

Hi guys, UNC is a dream for me and I am currently a junior, and I am getting on edge about the process and most importantly if I will get in. So here are my stats:

Ethnicity: Indian/Asian
County: Union County
Residency: North Carolina

ACT: 34 (first try)
GPA: 4.4375(weighted)
3.9167(unweighted)
Class Rank: 32/402 (weird GPA system and class rank system so probably top 10 with converted)

EC:
President and Founder of HOSA at my school
Part of the marching band for 4 years, since 8th grade, and planning on becoming section leader next year
Won tennis tournament at local tennis club
Finalist for National Chemistry Olympiad
3rd place at Charlotte Science Fair and won 3 awards
President of Science Olympiad next year
Part of National Science Honors society, Math honors Society (Mu Alpha Theta), and part of Toastmasters past 3 years, and planning on it next year also
Volunteer at hospital for a year now (couldn't do before because of age restriction) and one of the 7 team leaders for volunteers for summer and next school year
Volunteered for North South Foundation where I coached middle school students in Math for 3 years now, and will do next year
Volunteer team leader at Second Harvest Food Bank
JHU CTY Scholar
CTE student of the month

Course Rigor:
Ap Environmental Science
AP Calculus AB
AP Lang
AP Psychology
AP Biology
AP Calculus BC
AP Statistics
AP Chemistry
AP U.S. History
I don't know which APs I will take senior year
I don't have many other classes to take since I have taken all math, science, and English classes offered, except for the extracurricular like Marine biology, and speech and debate

Going to apply as a Chemistry major with probably a minor in Biology and Maths.

So please tell me my chances, I have scoured the internet and haven't found any solid or convincing evidence of whether I will get in or not, so please tell me what you guys think!
edited May 3
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: my chances of getting into UNC-Chapel hill

• summerrjsummerrj 1 replies0 threads New Member
    I can say without a shadow of a doubt that you will get into UNC. I was a freshmen there this past year and many of my friends got in with far less qualifications. Don't stress! You definitely seem well rounded and that's what UNC likes to see as a liberal arts school.
    · Reply · Share
  • AceRedAceRed 31 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Hey @summerrj thanks is for the response. My only problem is that since I live in Charlotte which is the second most competitive area than the Raleigh - wake county area, that I have seen many more qualified people than me get in and I’m worried that I may have done less than them and it puts me at a disadvantage.
    · Reply · Share