right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Verto Education gives first-year students the opportunity to travel, earn college credit, and graduate in four years. RSVP for their virtual fair on Sept. 29 and engage with them in an exclusive AMA session.
Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

University of North Carolina - Out of State Legacy question

Our son will be applying to UNC CH out of state. He is a legacy (both mom and dad) went there. How much pull does being a legacy have when applying as an out of state legacy? Is it somewhere in the vast space between in-state and out-of-state? If so, are they treated more like a regular out of state applicant or more like in a regular in state applicant?
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: University of North Carolina - Out of State Legacy question

• MWolfMWolf 2981 replies14 threads Senior Member
    edited August 1
    According to this article: https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2019/02/legacies-in-admissions-0218 In 2018, 48% of in-state legacies, and 40% of OOS legacies were accepted, as opposed to 41% of in-state students, and 16% of OOS students.

So acceptance rates of OOS legacies seem to be a lot closer to that of in-state applicants than to non-legacy OOS applicants.
    edited August 1
    · Reply · Share
  • Mom24boysMom24boys 963 replies48 threads Senior Member
    My husband went to medical school at UNC, would my children be considered legacies?
    · Reply · Share
  • 4thLittle4thLittle 1 replies1 threads New Member
    Yes, I'm almost certain of that.
    · Reply · Share
  • chb088chb088 1096 replies32 threads Senior Member
    Yes, you are considered a legacy if a parent went to UNC only for Grad school
    · Reply · Share
  • nanosecnanosec 62 replies8 threads Junior Member
    We toured last fall and in the admissions office discussion at the beginning, she stated that legacy really was only a factor for OOS candidates, which I found interesting. She said it wasn't a huge factor, but all other things being equal, it could have any impact.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 2981 replies14 threads Senior Member
    nanosec wrote: »
    We toured last fall and in the admissions office discussion at the beginning, she stated that legacy really was only a factor for OOS candidates, which I found interesting. She said it wasn't a huge factor, but all other things being equal, it could have any impact.

With a 40% acceptance rate for OOS legacies versus 16% for non-legacies, I would say that legacy status actually is a very large factor. On the other hand, the 48% versus 41% for in-state legacies versus non-legacies could have some other explanations, from perhaps a more prepared applicant pool, to a better understanding of the system. However, I would say that, despite UNC's claims, legacy does help somewhat for in-state applicants as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • PikachuRocks15PikachuRocks15 448 replies2 threads Member
    Just to add for future applicants reading this thread, if you're Out of State and do not have a hook (legacy status etc,) the acceptance rate out of state is very, very low (little above 10% as stated above.) I applied EA to UNC and was put on the waitlist. However, I ended up being accepted to Brown (attending,) Vanderbilt, USC, and UC Berkeley. UNC, unlike many of the other top-ranked state schools (UF, UCLA & Berkeley, UMich, maybe even UVA) has a much higher % of in-state students vs. out-of-state, so keep that in mind when applying.
    · Reply · Share