Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Dilemma...free ride to Chapel Hill or free ride plus perks somewhere else?

13»

Replies to: Dilemma...free ride to Chapel Hill or free ride plus perks somewhere else?

• PA MomPA Mom Registered User Posts: 975 Member
    GOB - Much as I'd love to have another Gamecock on CC, I don't know many people that would walk away from a free-ride at UNC CH ! Good luck where ever you end up!
  • cat119cat119 Registered User Posts: 221 Junior Member
    eadad made a great point. UNC all the way! : )
  • mbogtobmbogtob Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    GOB, I think you have been given an opportunity most students only dream about. Part of growing up is making adult decisions. Make a choice and move forward. We never know about the road not taken. Good luck!
  • cece1955cece1955 Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    After reading these posts, especially about the whole racist thing, I have a question. My D went to visit University of South Carolina a few weeks ago. She loved it! However, I am a little concerned because it is a big school, she wants to major in biology with plans for dental school, and she is Jewish. Do you think she will run into alot of prejudice there? Also, what specifically does your daughter like about USC. Do you worry about her safety there? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • snowballsnowball Registered User Posts: 2,805 Senior Member
    According to the Hillel site, USC has 300 Jewish undergraduate students, with 20,000 total undergrads. On the other hand, UNC has 850 Jewish students for their 16,000 students.

YOu might want to contact the Hillel at both schools and talk to them. They can give you a better idea about other Jewish students. I can not imagine that your daughter would be subjected to prejudice, but she might find that many students at either school really did not know anyone Jewish before coming to college.

http://www.hillel.org/HillelApps/JLOC/Campus.aspx?AgencyId=17914
    http://www.hillel.org/HillelApps/JLOC/Campus.aspx?AgencyId=17889
  • eadadeadad Registered User Posts: 2,759 Senior Member
    cece1955

I responded to your questions in a PM.
  • elpopeelpope Registered User Posts: 326 Member
    UNC. it definitely has a better reputation up north, and a much stronger business program (I've never even heard of "international business" as a subcategory--it sounds kind of like something that's mostly made up, just like law school "specialty" rankings) overall
  • purplexedpurplexed Registered User Posts: 242 Junior Member
    For cece1955.
    This isn't to detract at all from UNC as an option, but if your child was looking at USC, she might consider UGA instead or as well. I'm not Jewish, and went there ages ago, but by pure dorm chance got exposed to many Southern Jewish people, from New Orleans and Savannah and Atlanta. Compared to people I know who attended UNC, I had much more exposure to Jewish culture. That was many years ago, but worth looking at to see whether that tradition and support continue. Athens and Chapel Hill are very similar in town feel, and the schools fight about who was the first state land-grant university.
    But for basketball? UGA can't compete. Go Heels.
13»
This discussion has been closed.