Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Dilemma...free ride to Chapel Hill or free ride plus perks somewhere else?

GetOuttaBuffaloGetOuttaBuffalo Registered User Posts: 850 Member
I'm so torn y'all...I got the Pogue to UNC...one of 5 out of staters...but its only room and board and tuition. I know I sound like a brat...it's CHAPEL HILL! It's amazing!! But I also might be getting a scholarship to the University of South Carolina... I'd be in the honors college with tuition, room and board, study abroad stipend, a laptop, premium dorms and advising...and the #1 international business program in the country. I haven't gotten it yet...but there's a good chance... If I do...I have no idea what I'm gonna do. Any feedback? I know I'm so blessed to be able to choose between two colleges for free (I already have full tuition, great dorms, a laptop, and study abroad at USC). But I have no clue...I have 2 months to think on it...but I need to start thinking NOW!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
Btw, I have NO gut feeling whatsoever. I'm completely on the fence. And visited both. Any tips for deciding? Besides a lot of praying? lol
Thanks...
Post edited by GetOuttaBuffalo on

Replies to: Dilemma...free ride to Chapel Hill or free ride plus perks somewhere else?

• chillmandanchillmandan Registered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
    take the UNC one, UNC has just a better reputation, and better basketball :)
  • j07j07 Registered User Posts: 2,139 Senior Member
    I agree that UNC has a better reputation. While the program you're interested in may be stronger at South Carolina, UNC as a school is ranked higher. I know rankings aren't everything blah blah whatever, but I think that the "perks" you speak of are compensated for with the school that UNC is.
  • ldmom06ldmom06 Registered User Posts: 5,564 Senior Member
    Congratulations Get!!! Way to go!!

Go to UNC! You'll love it. (I admit to being biased...lol!)
  • GetOuttaBuffaloGetOuttaBuffalo Registered User Posts: 850 Member
    Ah jeez this is gonna be a long 2 months
  • jegan3jegan3 Registered User Posts: 701 Member
    I'd choose USC, personally. Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about the differences between the two colleges. But who wants to pass up free study abroad, great dorms, and a laptop, especially if it's very strong in the field you want to go into? A "name" will ultimately only get you so far. I think I'd rather go to a less prestigious college where I'd undoubtedly have far more opportunities to truly excel. Not that you couldn't or wouldn't excel at UNC, of course - just that USC seems to be willing to give you more chances to do so.

Of course, this is totally hypocritical of me, since I'm going to do the exact opposite. But still. I'd follow my own advice if I had the heart to do so, lol.
  • jackjack - Posts: 1,615 Senior Member
    GetOuttaBuffalo: I noticed on the Robertson thread, that you said you'd received an email about being nominated. Is that still a consideration?

About the SC scholarship, my advice would be to wait and see if you actually receive it; when you do, then you can start worrying. No need to start early. :)
    good point jack. maybe i wont and my decision will be so easy. and yea, i interview for the robertson saturday. (phone interview)
  • misstinax3misstinax3 Registered User Posts: 342 Member
    south carolina...? you can't "buy" an amazing college experience.you'll be paying some $$ for UNC, but its worth it.
  • jackjack - Posts: 1,615 Senior Member
    Good Luck, GetOuttaBuffalo! You have some great options. Let us know what happens and what you decide!
  • powderpuffpowderpuff Registered User Posts: 781 Member
    No brainer. UNC-Chapel Hill is a class act. Be there.
    what makes it a class act?

and is UNC really all that its cracked up to be?

*sigh*

though i did wear my unc shirt to school today! whoo hoo.
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 17,760 Senior Member
    You need to go on overnights to both schools, spend some time on campus, go to classes. You may love one and hate the other -- and then your decision will be easy!
    I did both, very happy. In fact, 3 days on each campus.

And...I'm still on the fence.

I know, I'm a weirdo!!
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy Registered User Posts: 17,760 Senior Member
    Yep. They can't be so similar that you can't find differences. You got to have opinions about those differences!
  • luxlibertasluxlibertas Registered User Posts: 181 Junior Member
    Go to UNC. More prestige, much better campus, much better opportunities. Yes, SC is #1 for international business, but the UNC business school as a WHOLE is much more highly regarded. The business school's rep as a whole will probably play a bigger role in the types of jobs you can get straight out of undergrad anyway.

If it's just the extra perks that are keeping SC in the ball game, then I think you should definitely pick UNC. You'll find that the advising, housing, etc is not nearly as big of a deal in practice as it sounds on paper.

Furthermore, a lot of the "honors" students you would be living with at SC are about the same caliber as the regular students at UNC.
This discussion has been closed.