Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How would an international student fit in UNC?

DanC1986DanC1986 Registered User Posts: 294 Junior Member
I might go there for a semester or 2 next year, anyone has any speical insights? (assuming I speak english fluently)...
Post edited by DanC1986 on

Replies to: How would an international student fit in UNC?

• alicealice - Posts: 240 Junior Member
    A friend of mine visited UNC recently, and he was surprised at how "white" the population was. (He is not white, btw), but he was expecting more of a mix racially and internationally for a big state school. I don't know if what he says is true, or if he hung out with a certain group.
    He did say that everyone was very friendly and welcoming though, and told him he should join UNC.

Why are you going for 1 or 2 semesters. Sometimes it takes that long to make friends, and fit in with a group that you like.
  • DanC1986DanC1986 Registered User Posts: 294 Junior Member
    It's only for a semester or 2 beacuse it's part of an exchange program which is limited for that time limit. i was told it might be not enough but i guess that going just for a bit might be better than not going at all. btw, just in case it matters, i'm from Israel (meaning, i am white, even though i don't really think that race is such an important factor, but anyways)
  • alicealice - Posts: 240 Junior Member
    Cool. Well I am sure you will have a great time there. The weather is awesome, the campus from what I hear, very very pretty, and my friend who visited, said he sat in on 2 challenging classes. Some of the introductory level classes are huge, as it is a large State Uni., so you can be in an auditorium with 400 kids. But since you are not going in as a freshman, you may not encounter that at all.

As far as Jewish life on campus, why don't you call or e-mail the admissions office and ask them to put you in touch with such a group. You could then ask a Jewish student a lot of direct questions, if you have concerns.

In general, UNC is well known for its liberal campus.
  • DanC1986DanC1986 Registered User Posts: 294 Junior Member
    thanks for replying. well, honestly, i'm not at all religious, the local jewish community or stuff such as kosher food aren't stuff which are taken under consideration. the only thing i find important is to fit in for the few months i'll be staying and have fun...i'm glad you mentioned it's a liberal campus, obviously it's better for intl. students like me...
This discussion has been closed.