Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How do you identify UNC?

Cuse0507Cuse0507 Registered User Posts: 4,519 Senior Member
...when telling someone where you go to school? Do you go to "UNC", "Carolina", "Chapel Hill", etc? If a North Carolinian asks me, I almost always say I go to Carolina...if someone from out of state asks, I usually say "UNC-Chapel Hill."

What do the rest of you say?
Post edited by Cuse0507 on

Replies to: How do you identify UNC?

• phonyreal98phonyreal98 Registered User Posts: 1,984 Senior Member
    When a North Carolinian asks, I usually say either "Carolina", "Chapel Hill", or "UNC"

When someone else asks, I say "North Carolina", "UNC", or "UNC-Chapel Hill"
  • jwlstnjwlstn Registered User Posts: 209 Junior Member
    I tell them I go to the Harvard of Orange County
  • pkp20pkp20 Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    I don't care who I'm talking to I say Carolina. Maybe I'll say UNC but I will Never ever call it Chapel Hill, UNC Chapel Hill, UNC-CH or North Carolina.
  • annnannn Registered User Posts: 556 Member
    inside NC: Carolina
    outside: UNC (though it usually takes someone a couple seconds to figure it out... "like... North Carolina?")
  • jen89objen89ob Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    I say UNC to whoever asks. If they say "which one?" I die a little on the inside and answer, "Chapel Hill.... the real one...." =P
  • phonyreal98phonyreal98 Registered User Posts: 1,984 Senior Member
    I say UNC to whoever asks. If they say "which one?" I die a little on the inside and answer, "Chapel Hill.... the real one...." =P

I hate it when that happens. Maybe I need to stop telling North Carolinians that I go to "UNC", and just leave it at "Carolina" or "Chapel Hill".

I'm actually surprised at how few people actually call it "North Carolina" outside of the sports world.
  • cloyingcloying Registered User Posts: 884 Member
    In state I say Carolina or Chapel Hill, out of state I say UNC Chapel Hill
  • heyitslauriebethheyitslauriebeth Registered User Posts: 385 Member
    I say Carolina. I don't care where the person's from, it's always Carolina. Because South Carolina cannot be identified as Carolina, in my opinion (: And if I say just UNC, I end up being yelled at by people who think I'm trying to insult them or something...Some girl, whose going to Alabama, completely yelled about me for just saying UNC one time and was apparently veryyyyyyy insulted that I didn't specify Chapel Hill and that I thought it was the only one worth mentioning hahahaha.
  • pkp20pkp20 Registered User Posts: 116 Junior Member
    laurie beth it is the only one worth mentioning. I don't understand where people are coming from. and you are absolutely right, those South Carolinians must be on something if they think they can go by carolina. It must suck for them because we are the real Carolina and Southern Cal is the Real USC. they just dont have anything.
This discussion has been closed.