Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances for a Marylander hoping to become a Tarheel?

deadmau5deadmau5 Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
Hey guys! I applied to UNC EA. It's currently tied with another J-school as my number one choice. I'm so nervous for Mid-January! I'm hoping to get some feedback, especially from current students or OoSers. Go Tarheels! :D

White Female

GPA: 3.74 UW, 5.1 W

Class Rank- 17/413 (Top 5 percent)

SAT I: 2130 Compsite: 600 M, 730 CR, 800 W (may retake in Jan)
SAT II: 750 US History, 710 Lit (retook), World History pending

All APs through HS, 8 by Grad
5s on Comp, US History, World History

Awards:
Served as a Congressional Page in the United States House of Representatives summer sophomore year- sponsored by Nancy Pelosi (Speaker of the House), one of about 50 some kids nationally I think
selected 3 times on the American of Newspaper Editors weekly "National Edition" - basically, it's the best online high school journalism compiled on one site.
3 Awards from Maryland-District of Columbia Press Association Individual Writing and Editing Contest: 2nd Place and Honorable Mention in Review Writing, 3rd For Op/Ed
NHS, French Honor Society, etc
National Merit Commended
Speaker at my school's GT Night
Ranked 4th in MD for Original Oratory (Speech)

ECS:
The Big One is that I'm the Student Representative on my local school board. I'm a voting member, so I have a say in things like budget, curriculum, all that. Working on a county-wide journalism initiative. As far as I know, relatively few SMOBS in the country have voting rights.
With that job also comes executive leadership positions on my County Student Council board and the State Student Council board.

I also have a job with the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy as one of 13 teens on their Youth Leadership Team - sort of a representative to all teens, if you will. I work on writing for the site, and will be at a panel on Capitol Hill this spring.

Newspaper (duh): Editor in chief 12, other editorial positions previous years
Started my School's Online Paper- 10000 views in November FTW.
Speech and Debate
Theatre
Community Work: Big on this stuff. Done it for 4 years, I'll have close to 350 hours between the Board and other stuff by the time I graduate.

Thanks guys and again, Go Carolina! If I get in in January I will cry happy happy tears!
Post edited by deadmau5 on

Replies to: Chances for a Marylander hoping to become a Tarheel?

• Ryan82Ryan82 Registered User Posts: 314 Member
    Wow you literally have about the same stats as me.

Your test scores and GPA are definitely in the competitive range, and you have fantastic EC's.

The only downside is that your 2130 is kind of lopsided, since you only have a 1330 on a 1600 scale. I'm not sure how UNC will view that though.

Overall I think you have a great chance, and while you won't get outright rejected EA, a deferral is still possible.
This discussion has been closed.