Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

absolutely positively last chance thread!

2»

Replies to: absolutely positively last chance thread!

• sports_guy_5sports_guy_5 Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
    NC does not give 4.0 (or 5 and 6 depending on the course) unless a student scores 96+
    This is not true at all, at least not at any school in my county in NC. I could score a 92.5, which would round to an A and I'd get 4.0 towards my UW GPA. I don't know where you heard of this, but it isn't something that ALL of NC high schools use!!

Anyways, regarding the chances for the OP, I think it will be a reach/high reach because of SAT and GPA coming from a highly-represented county in NC.
  • TonyBallioniTonyBallioni Registered User Posts: 383 Member
    It varies by county, but for the most part, NC Public Schools are moving to the NCWISE Augmented Scale, in order to determine class rank more efficiently, with Wake and Mecklenburg Counties being notable holdouts. More information on NC's policy on GPAs can be found at : Policy outlining standards to be incorporated into the electronically generated high school transcript
  • pierrelourenspierrelourens Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    I wish Wake used the augmented scale during my high school years! Nothing's worse than earning a 92.4 and having the same weight as someone who earned a 84.5...
  • TonyBallioniTonyBallioni Registered User Posts: 383 Member
    ^To clarify, Wake and Mecklenburg still use the traditional standard scale, not the augmented, sorry if my wording was a bit confusing.
  • LolyGAGHaLolyGAGHa - Posts: 823 Member
    Artemis, I talked to the UNC admissions office and I do know that they will accept my UNC transcript that I will send late December/early January
  • sports_guy_5sports_guy_5 Registered User Posts: 206 Junior Member
    Ok that makes more sense TonyBallioni, since I live in Wake County. pierrelourens, I feel ya on a 92.4 and 84.5 looking exactly the same on the transcript!!
  • ArtemisDeaArtemisDea Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    I really don't know about grades. All I know is that I submitted my senior fall midterm grades to UNC, so if they use them, great. If not, then it doesn't really matter.
  • ArtemisDeaArtemisDea Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    Ugh. This thread has made me and my lowly boarding school 3.4uw feel so lonely. I only wish I could get a 4.75 here! One of my AP classes was taught by a teacher who got his PhD in the subject from Yale and had his (second?) book published in the field that year. Yeah, getting a 4.75 at my school is impossible. We'll see what they do in my case, at least.
  • ncmentorncmentor Registered User Posts: 1,346 Senior Member
    ArtenmisDea I wouldn't worry about it UNC has done this before and knows what a good grade looks like at your school and most other schools. BTW most transcripts in NC not only have a letter grade but also the numeric grade so it's very easy for UNC (and every other school) to compare "apples to apples".

As far as OP chances - I think you have received mostly good advice and my advice would that "I know" of no student with your combination of WGPA / SAT who was accepted to UNC last year. You may be the exception, and I wish you the very best of luck, but I think the appropriate work is luck...
2»
This discussion has been closed.