Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Transfer Chances?

Knights09Knights09 Registered User Posts: 1,739 Senior Member
I am looking at potentially transferring to UNC Chapel Hill next year. I will be a sophomore transfer for Fall 2010.

I was a slacker my freshman and sophomore years, and didn't really get the whole "working to get to college" thing until it was too late to help me.

I went to a top private school in Atlanta (my class' average SAT was 1300+) and finished high school with an 3.53 weighted GPA on a 5.0 scale. I got a 32 on my ACTs though.

I took 4 APs, getting two 5s (US and Art History), a 4 (English Lit) and a 3 (Environmental Science), then went off to a large out of state flagship in the Southeast.

I'm not sure this is the place for me for various reasons and I think I want to put out some transfer applications to give myself some options. Honestly if I hadn't slacked in high school UNC would have probably been my first choice of school. Why not try to make it happen?

I got a 4.0 in my first semester. I'm vice president of my residence hall, am involved with a religious group on campus, and will be named to the President's Honor List for this semester.

In high school, I was vice president of my class my senior year, played varsity lacrosse for 4 years (Captain senior year, won Coaches' Award for Leadership twice), won the Headmaster's Award my senior year, wasn an AP Scholar with Honor, was a Peer Leader (one of 16 seniors that mentored groups of freshmen), and was very involved with the same religious organization that I do in college.

Do I have a chance at UNC?
Post edited by Knights09 on

Replies to: Transfer Chances?

• ArtemisDeaArtemisDea Registered User Posts: 643 Member
    Your GPA is crippling. See my other post about getting into UNC with below a 4.0 weighted.
  • TonyBallioniTonyBallioni Registered User Posts: 383 Member
    I think for transfers the look more at college GPA than high school, so I wouldn't call it crippling, if you can keep your GPA up I would say you have a shot.
  • pierrelourenspierrelourens Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    You won't know unless you try and you'll regret never trying.

So try. Who knows?
  • ATHLETICS6ATHLETICS6 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I am applying as a junior transfer from a junior college in NC...please let me know what you think my chances are!

High school:
    3.0 unweighted, 3.3 weighted GPA (slacker)

College:
    3.83 GPA (around 56 transferrable credits)
    Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
    Varsity Baseball (2 Letters)
    Academic Award
    Scholar Athlete

Extracurricular: Multiple volunteer activities (coaching, charity walks, food drives, etc.)

Completion of AA Degree in May

Great letter of recomendations/strong essays
  • in_a_panicin_a_panic Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    ATHLETICS6: I'd say you are in. I transferred in from a NC Community College with a lower GPA than you (3.78) and fewer extracurriculars and no awards.
This discussion has been closed.