Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Class of 2013 parents?

Replies to: Class of 2013 parents?

• SCalumNDmomSCalumNDmom Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My daughter's current So. Cal wardrobe will only get her through early October in South Bend, she'd like to start shopping now for a serious coat and boots but doesn't know what would be a good place to shop on-line. I want warm, she wants warm AND cute, any suggestions from moms with daughters are very much appreciated!
  • Irish45221Irish45221 Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    I am not a parent but I am also from California and can maybe help lead you down the right path.

As far as shopping now for winter goes I would suggest you do a bit of research, but do not purchase anything until your daughter has experienced the light winter days and has a sense of what she wants to combat the cold with. She will then have a better idea of what she wants (polar fleece, big puffy jacket, long coat etc.) You really do not need to break in the "serious" winter clothing until around mid-November when the chill starts to set in. Up until then I survived by layering my light California winter clothing. Layering light clothing also got me through many winter days in Jan, Feb, and March. Shopping online for winter clothing can also be troublesome because you can never really gauge a piece of clothing's warmth by looks alone.

Also, keep in mind that Notre Dame does a great job plowing the paths and walkways throughout campus. I only used a pair of boots once or twice the entire time I was there and that was during holidays when the plow crews were off. If anything, boots come in handy when it rains and Notre Dame's drainage problems hit.
  • notre dame ALnotre dame AL Registered User Posts: 1,674 Senior Member
    I would not totally discount the need for winter clothing until mid-November; if memory serves correctly, it snowed right before fall break of "06 (when our student was a freshman) and while it was not the freezing temps of Jan and Feb, nontheless it did snow. ^^Have to also agree about the boots and walkways--our student has a brand new pair of boots, still in the box that have never been worn (will now be a Sr) and states the same thing about walkways staying cleared. However, the boots might feel nice for warmth in Jan and Feb--just can't get our student to wear them--tennis shoes have been just fine! Layering is key, for sure...
  • bulinskimombulinskimom Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    try REI.com. My daughter (we live in Alaska) will be bringing her down "puffy" coat for the coldest days, a windproof, waterproof polarfleece shell for most other days and a lightweight polar fleece jacket that she wears like most kids wear a sweatshirt. Most of our winter gear we buy on sale at the Rei store here in town. It stands for Recreational Equipment Inc. and has been around for many years. Your daughter will definately find something she likes. I will warn you though, GOOD cold weather gear is expensive! It is however well worth every penny. Also, she will probably want some nice lightweight windbloc fleece gloves to wear walking across campus, and the best way to stay warm is to wear a hat. You lose more body heat out of your head than any other part of your body. Keep it covered and you will be warmer! Good Luck!
  • claremarieclaremarie Registered User Posts: 1,089 Senior Member
    Every girl on campus seems to wear Uggs boots as soon as the temperature drops below 50 degrees. I have rarely seen a guy in boots no matter what the weather.
    There is an Eddie Bauer store in town, for those who would rather not shop online. There is also a mall near campus that has all of the usual mid-range mall stores, including a Macy's.
    My son did the layering thing with fleece jackets and sweatshirts until it got really cold, when he added a parka. Remember that your student will have to find a place in his/her room to hang (or toss) the cold-weather gear, so don't go overboard on puffy, bulky jackets or coats.
  • #3's Mom#3's Mom Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    My daughter also wears Uggs and they seem to have held up pretty well. She also has a Northface jacket she wears a lot and peacoats, too. (My son was spotted quite often wearing a long-sleeve shirt and ND hoodie in the middle of winter - I wouldn't recommend it.

Usually you can wait until fall break to bring back real winter clothes.
  • clock26clock26 Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    for girls- uggs, sweatpants, and a northface
    repeat october thru march

you don't want to be left out
  • shellzie2006shellzie2006 Registered User Posts: 1,267 Senior Member
    Here's my input as a rising ND senior:

gymmom2007- I'm also from MN and I can tell you that the ND club of MN is very helpful and hosts a lot of events both for the students and the parents throughout the year.

Uggs and a Northface is pretty much the ND girl winter uniform, although a good number wear peacoats as well. I usually leave my warmer coats (a Northface and a "puffy coat" as bulinskimom put it) at home since they're warmer than I need in South Bend. I usually just layer a sweatshirt and a peacoat in the coldest weather. Uggs are comfy and warm but have zero traction- which can be a problem since the paths can get icy. But they work all right for on-campus use (I wouldn't recommend them for any serious winter applications). Also- bring rainboots! There are many months out of the year when it rains a lot but isn't cold enough to wear winter boots, and campus has a tendency to turn into a giant puddle... I'd also recommend gloves and a scarf- it's nice to have something to wrap around your neck when you're walking through the South Quad wind tunnel.
  • IrishcaliIrishcali Registered User Posts: 430 Member
    As the mom of a rising Junior (and yes, where HAVE the years gone!!!???) I recommend that you don't miss any of the activities on the last day of orientation! The MASS (even if you are not Catholic) and the "Spirit of Notre Dame" will leave you breathless! I will NEVER forget the moment at Mass when all of the new Freshmen put their arms around each other and swayed to the alma mater... The Spirit of Notre Dame will bring everyone to their feet with cheers, fight songs and everything Notre Dame! Do not miss any of it!

I'm jealous...I'd like to do it all again! (and she's only a junior!!!)

ENJOY!
  • hawkswim09hawkswim09 Registered User Posts: 1,222 Senior Member
    ^sounds interesting...does any one know if we have a part of orientation when we actually learn all about the cheers at football games and how they are run. I have a general idea of the traditions, but was just wondering if they have anything scheduled to run you through how a weekend works.
  • SportfireSportfire Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    Some of the dorms offer training Saturday night to their freshman. Look around your dorm website and frosho info.
  • Irish45221Irish45221 Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    My dorm offered no specific cheer training or anything like that. A few years ago I think one of the dorms offered some ND football orientation event at LaFortune. I am not sure if they are still doing it but after the first game you will probably be a pro.
  • notre dame ALnotre dame AL Registered User Posts: 1,674 Senior Member
    Your dorm will likely offer something during orientation weekend--I think I remember our student came away with a CD that had a lot of cheers/music. If not, ask about it during your dorm's orientation!
  • ND DadND Dad Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    We are so excited to that our DD is transferring to ND as an incoming Sophmore - her dream school! While she won't be attending the same orientation as the freshman, I noticed that her orientation session does include a "training session" for the cheers and songs, so I am sure everyone will be an expert before the September 5th game. Irishcali, the Mass and Spirit of Notre Dame sounds incredible. I was disappointed that the transfer orientation ends for transfer parents on Saturday - so I may just have to stay the extra day and crash the Joyce Center.
  • #3's Mom#3's Mom Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    ND Dad: It is definitely worth staying for orientation. Who could miss that huge Mass, the ND band and Charlie Weiss? It's an unbelievable experience, although both times I've done it I was really conscious of the fact that soon I would be getting in my car and leaving my child behind. This time it will be our youngest, so I know I will be a mess.

I hope your daughter loves Notre Dame! What dorm is she in?
This discussion has been closed.