Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do I have to be Catholic?

Socratic ThoughtSocratic Thought - Posts: 48 Junior Member
edited July 2009 in University of Notre Dame
I am a devout baptist and I want to know if being protestant will hurt my chances of being admitted into Notre Dame.
Post edited by Socratic Thought on

Replies to: Do I have to be Catholic?

• Irish45221Irish45221 Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    No, that will not hurt you. It may actually help you if you can articulate the importance of your faith in your application.
  • notre dame ALnotre dame AL Registered User Posts: 1,674 Senior Member
    No, it will not hurt you and further it is not necessary to articulate the importance of your faith in your app. Our Senior ND student has been raised Protestant/Baptist even tho one parent is indeed Catholic. The app included no reference to faith other than the gen question that was asked about religious denomination/affiliation. Of course, that was during Fall of '05 and the app garnered EA to ND--things may have changed since then, but I can attest that I do not believe religion played any part in the EA our student gained in Dec of '05. Subsequently, it has never really been an issue since being a student, other than the required Theology/Philosophy courses. And, after fulfilling the Theo coursework, the dept sent a letter asking if student was at all interested in minoring in Theo! So, my advice is to apply and not worry too much about the religion aspect, if it is something that will not bother you. Notre Dame offers so much in terms of sense of community, excellent academics, and of course, spirituality. It is up to you to take advantage of all of these things!! Good Luck...
  • Irish45221Irish45221 Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    As someone who has worked with Campus Ministry for four years, I can tell you that religious diversity, if is is articulated coherently, is highly appreciated at ND. I am not saying you have to write it in your app, but if you are "devout" and feel comfortable articulating that sort of thing in writing, it may give you an edge over others who write only casually of their Catholic faith.
  • MombotMombot Registered User Posts: 940 Member
    I would agree it would actually HELP you if you are articulate about your faith and why that informed your decision to apply to ND.

Best kept secret about ND is they TRULY want diversity and they are still Catholic, so having a Baptist in those Theo classes is catnip to all the professors--so many of the kids are cultural Catholics and having somebody represent the Protestant POV in classes is invaluable.

One of the tenets of Catholic belief is that you challenge the comfortable-you ask do you really believe that or did you just absorb it. It requires an informed faith, and so having the Jewish or Protestant or Islamic POV in class is really valuable.

Do be aware though that if your Baptist church is a dry church you may be shocked--Catholics drink, and Irish Catholics are the dominant culture at ND and they are known for hard drinking. Hispanic and Italian Catholic cultures are also represented but to a lesser degree--they don't call them the "Fighting Irish" for nothing.
    Mombot--had to smile w/your post^. While student has not been brought up "dry", I think you are correct about that "hard drinking". And, there are plenty of "hard-drinking" Protestants as well--they perhaps try to hide it much more!
  • MombotMombot Registered User Posts: 940 Member
    I agree ND--even I was shocked when they had wine at the elementary school back to school nights at the parochial school! Not to mention the post Christmas Eve Mass tailgate.
  • sryrstresssryrstress Registered User Posts: 2,413 Senior Member
    Ditto here. There might have been a few folks drinking in my Methodist growing-up church, but they surely weren't going to acknowledge it, let alone publicize it. I about fell off the pew the first time at Mass I heard the priest announce the church picnic at 2p.m. and then re-iterate several times people should be there at 1 when the open bar began. My husband and I still laugh about it. I couldn't believe people would talk about drinking on a Sunday, let alone in a church!

OK--my son will be a ND jr. this year. I'm a tad less naive now....and yes, ND Al, I don't know if Protestants do, or don't, drink less, (my guess is yes) but I do believe they make much more attempt to hide it...
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Registered User Posts: 19,395 Senior Member
    Are y'all saying my kid will come home a drunk?
    Absolutely NOT!
This discussion has been closed.