Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Is ND still Catholic?

collegebound1414collegebound1414 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
edited July 2009 in University of Notre Dame
I've heard that the catholic tradition has died down since the whole obama thing. So is ND losing catholic spirit?

Edit: father john jenkins. i thought he was asked to step down?
Post edited by collegebound1414 on

Replies to: Is ND still Catholic?

• notre dame ALnotre dame AL Registered User Posts: 1,674 Senior Member
    Who are you referring to???
  • Irish45221Irish45221 Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    I am guessing you are referring to Fr. John Jenkins who is still ND's president. He is known for stirring up controversy but he is very good at promoting healthy dialogue. Many people hold that some of his stances are at odds with ND's Catholic identity (the monologues, the commencement speech, etc. for example). Whether they are or are not is really up for question.

As far as liturgies, campus ministry, and social concerns are concerned, I believe ND is especially strong and only growing in spirit. But I also believe we are seeing a change of sorts. I think we are seeing a shift where the emphasis is being moved from the doctrinal and placed primarily on pastoral aspects of the faith. I believe Fr. Jenkins has in some part helped to align ND with the pastoral lens of the Church at the expense of the doctrinal lens. I think the university would be strongest if it struck a balance between the two.

So ND's Catholic spirit is still there. It just looks different and feels different as well. I know the terms conservative and liberal do not always work well in theological discussions, but if I had to say, I would say ND is becoming increasingly theologically liberal.
  • shellzie2006shellzie2006 Registered User Posts: 1,267 Senior Member
    I'd say that's probably a fair assessment. However, keep in mind that this is a gradual change. It certainly isn't as if, after Obama came, the entire Notre Dame community was like "oh, well screw it, that's enough of that whole Catholic thing."

I think Obama speaking at ND was more of a manifestation of the changes that have been occurring rather than the cause. And I suppose it has caused a few people to distance themselves from ND, but no commencement speaker could ever cause Notre Dame's Catholic spirit to die down or shatter one of our traditions.

And yes, Fr. Jenkins was asked to step down (by people like Charles Rice and Randall Terry), but he didn't.
  • BobbyCBobbyC Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    well, i'll go on record as being one of the disappointed students who felt ND lost a little something when obama came. i think the fact that he was so happily invited by most of the notre dame community shows that ND has lost its catholic image a little bit. it's still "more catholic" than most of the comparable "catholic" universities out there, though
  • CitricAcidCitricAcid Registered User Posts: 215 Junior Member
    I think ND ceased being Catholic the day it admitted a non-Catholic student.
  • collegebound1414collegebound1414 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    ...lol is that a joke? its illegal to discriminate.
  • CitricAcidCitricAcid Registered User Posts: 215 Junior Member
    I hate any thought that is somewhat non-Catholic, that's what's supposed to be taught at Notre Dame I've heard.
  • collegebound1414collegebound1414 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    what college are you attending?
    Careful Citric Acid--we have a non-Catholic student that will be a Senior this fall. All I will say is that I thought that Catholics/religion in general was more welcoming of all faiths...are Catholics not at all concerned about garnering more people to become Catholic? I hope that I am misinterpreting your above posts and that you do not sincerely think that Catholicism/and Notre Dame for that matter is so closed and clanish that they do not accept people of other faiths!
  • BobbyCBobbyC Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    well let me clarify my comment. i am certainly accepting of other faiths being at ND, but i felt like when Obama came, Jenkins (as well as many students), tried to justify that Obama's views are very Catholic, and i certainly don't agree with that. Some even tried to justify that his 100% NARAL rating was a catholic view, which it most certainly is not. so, while i am accepting of other faiths, i am not accepting of trying to pass off Obama's views as Catholic in the slightest.
    Not wanting to debate the issue of Obama--everyone has strong personal opinions about his appearance. I do, however, find it shocking that someone might allude to the fact that "ND ceased being Catholic the day it admitted a non-Catholic student". Personally, this indicates to me that Catholics are not accepting of other faiths. We live in a world that contains quite a diverse group of religions. And, in order to survive and progress, one certainly needs the exposure to other faiths. Not to mention that I would imagine that the Catholic church could certainly benefit from more members each and every day!

I truly hope that I am misinterpreting the above post by CitricAcid...and that indeed the general population at Notre Dame (esp being overwhelmingly Catholic) are not as closed-minded as the statement leads one to believe.
  • laketimelaketime Registered User Posts: 285 Junior Member
    Oh just take Citric Acid with a grain of salt. True to his moniker he is often gratuitosly acerbic! My husband entered ND as a Lutheran 30 years ago and was accepted by an even more homogeneous student body. (Though I must add that he has since "come home!")
    Of all the things that would keep one from ND, fear of not being accepted because of religion shouldn't even be on the radar! Now if you were reluctant because of the weather....
    Thanks laketime! Have been quite proud of our student for surviving those brutal Jan-Feb months when the sun (according to student) never shines!! And, amazingly, as student is in a SW state for an internship, where temps have been in the 100 degree range, student has actually indicated that the cold weather will "feel good" again!!!
    ND AL Ah I do understand! Our DS has been born and bred on the tip of the FL *****ula.
    He thinks the winters will be temperate compared to the FL summers! Chicago born and New England bred myself, I just nod.
    OOPS! Dropped an "N" our son was raised on the Florida peniNsula!
This discussion has been closed.