Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

question for parents of current ND students

gymmom2007gymmom2007 Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
edited July 2009 in University of Notre Dame
can anyone tell me anything about the items available at the Stepan Center during move in weekend? Are they new items or used and what are their prices like. Would one suggest just going to target/walmart for say a small fridge or futon. Thanks.

Gymmom2007
Post edited by gymmom2007 on

Replies to: question for parents of current ND students

• Irish45221Irish45221 Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    All the items at the Stepan Center are new. A few vendors come and sell things like carpet, lamps, posters, fans etc.. The items are marked up a bit so a trip to Target or Wal-Mart is definitely suggested. The carpet at the Stepan center is reasonably priced, however, and the convenience of buying it on campus is definitely a bonus.
  • notre dame ALnotre dame AL Registered User Posts: 1,674 Senior Member
    We have always gone to Target, Wal-mart and another place called Meijer (similar to Target and Wal-mart with good pricing). Never used the Stepan center stuff..assume you will have transportation around the South Bend area? My impression is that you may have a better selection at these places and they are really not that difficult to find.
    I think you can also get student deals on computers at Stepan. If you want a cable box for your room you can also pick it up at Stepan.
  • gandertgandert Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    In our experience over the last three years, there was a very limited selection of items at the Stepan Center sale. Unless you are specifically looking for carpet, or posters, etc - you will probably be going to Target, Walmart, Meijers or Lowes anyway. We've never found anything at the Stepan Center sale that interested us.
  • gymmom2007gymmom2007 Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    to all of you who have answer my initial question. I think we are going to do site-to-store at walmart for her fridge so we know we will have one.

Question #2 - how do freshman pay for football tickets? I know they put in their application Monday at some required event. Does it just go on their account or are they required to pay cash/check?

Thanks,
    Gymmom2007
  • zfzxzzzazfzxzzza Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    i recommend going to walmart or target
    they are both 10-15 mins away from campus
    gymmom 2007:
    all freshman have to go to a mandatory meeting called "college have issues" (or sth like that...can't really remember the name) and get sth like a brochure after that.
    they will be purchasing tickets with that little book in the first few weeks
    don't worry about the tickets though, there will be plenty of emails about student tickets for freshman.
    BTW, they have to purchase with cash or check. most ND official departments do not accept credit card
  • gymmom2007gymmom2007 Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    I will make sure she knows how to write a check -she mostly uses her debit card.
    21 days and counting til we arrive.
  • notre dame ALnotre dame AL Registered User Posts: 1,674 Senior Member
    Wrong on the credit card--our student used a credit card this spring to purchase season tickets for football with no problems! It was a credit card and not a debit card.
    to notre dame AL:
    for freshman, you can only purchase tickets with cash/check.
    if you purchase tickets online (as a parent or non-freshman), you can use your credit card
  • chinabluechinablue Registered User Posts: 814 Member
    So let me know if I have it stratight, students need to complete the college issues class (drugs/drinking/sex) during freshman orientation then they are given the option to purchase football tickets?
    That's correct. But think of it as a giant lecture instead of a class because every member of your class will be with you when you sit in on it. So there are no tests or anything like that.
This discussion has been closed.