right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. Due to very high demand we will be streaming the event on our Facebook page. Let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Cooper Union is rumored to release decisions tomorrow (4/1). Share your outcome!
Tulane is rumored to release decisions today (3/31). Share your outcome!
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

University of Alabama

NASA2014NASA2014 2357 replies131 threads Senior Member
Will they ever file chapter 11 bankruptcy?

ACT: 32 automatic full tution.

really...??
22 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: University of Alabama

• elliebhamelliebham 713 replies163 threads Member
    What are you asking? Do you think if their endowment couldn't support these scholarships, they would continue them? Obviously it's working out well for Alabama.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mom2aphysicsgeekMom2aphysicsgeek 4663 replies56 threads Senior Member
    Have you ever been to visit UA? The campus is beautiful. There is a lot of new construction. The engineering complex is state of the art. (And well, the football stadium and games rival pro team atmospheres. :) ). Since mom2collegekids posted the source, you question is answered. But, I didn't want others to imagine a school on the brink of collapse due to spending $$ on attracting top students. My ds loves it there and his younger sister wishes they offered her major bc she would love to attend there.
    · Reply · Share
  • NoVADad99NoVADad99 2258 replies33 threads Senior Member
    UA may tighten up the stats needed for full scholarships in coming years if they keep getting more applicants who qualify for the scholarships, but the money is not a problem for the foreseeable future.
    · Reply · Share
    And, to those who "liked" his post....uh, why??
    I had the same reaction. The OP is a sophomore at a CC wanting to transfer. I was also wondering why he would post a random post about UA suggesting financial instability.
    · Reply · Share
    @novadad99 They already are by dropping the engineering supplement those who don't qualify for the presidential.. (not to be confused with $2500 engineering scholarship.)
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 11188 replies184 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    I noticed the likes as well (Re: #4). I'd say they may have arisen because the original post is 1) cleverly worded 2) may actually pertain to a relevant issue such as sustainability and 3) does not strongly imply an obstinant denial of comments that may follow it.

That said, the OP invited a SUNY debate on a another thread that began much less . . . cleverly.
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • laraleilaralei 774 replies59 threads Member
    Perhaps the OP is bored, looking for a way to waste his time, so thought it might be amusing to post something so random. "Clever" wasn't my first reaction though.
    · Reply · Share
  • NASA2014NASA2014 2357 replies131 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2015
    This post wasn't "clever" I wanted know how they managed to get a lot of people a free $2500 scholarship.

I was planning on applying as a transfer student to UA, but after I keep hearing you get a free tuition just because you score a 32 on the ACT. I just my chances of getting free tutuion is -90 percent.
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • bodanglesbodangles 8628 replies557 threads Senior Member
    Then why'd you ask if they were going bankrupt? That's not at all the same question.
    · Reply · Share
    I don't think you can get the full tuition scholarships as a transfer student. They are only for incoming freshmen who have not received any previous college credit at other schools.
    · Reply · Share
    To clarify, it is no college credit post high school graduation. You can qualify for the presidential if the college credits were earned during high school.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama 84309 replies1048 threads Forum Champion
    <<<

I was planning on applying as a transfer student to UA, but after I keep hearing you get a free tuition just because you score a 32 on the ACT. I just my chances of getting free tutuion is -90 percent.
    >>>

???

Incoming freshman who apply by Dec 15, AND who have an ACT 32+ and a 3.5+ GPA qualify for free tuition.

Doesn't look like you have any of the qualifications.
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 11188 replies184 threads Senior Member
    "This post wasn't 'clever.'" (10)

You just ruined it for me.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 42519 replies460 threads Senior Member
    UA has pretty generous transfer scholarships too, but the presidential is only for freshmen applicants.
    If one has an ACT 32, it's basically always better to apply to merit scholarships as a freshman and NOT go to community college "to save money", since transfer scholarships are never as generous, even at generous universities.
    · Reply · Share
    OP you seem rather contemptuous of something you had no hope of ever qualifying for to begin with, why?
    · Reply · Share
    Let's cut the kid some slack.
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 2015
    The question was very poorly handled if he was truly looking for information, then he was quite contemptuous of the scholarship as it was awarded "just because" he had a 32 ACT.

I think everyone did cut him quite a bit of slack.
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • SOSConcernSOSConcern 3879 replies8 threads Senior Member
    To add a bit more information, in addition to all the sources of scholarship money already mentioned, UA athletics has a surplus - like $1 million that has gone to academic/merit scholarships per year over the surplus years. The band got a new practice field/tower, and are gaining an indoor practice facility that is under construction now, thanks to athletic surplus.

Another poster mentioned Eng/CS students OOS for Fall 2016 are still eligible for the supplement so ACT 30 plus GPA 3.5 or better as incoming freshman studying Eng/CS (have to complete ACT score by Dec testing and meet the Dec application deadline) - will have full tuition plus $2500/year for 4 years/8 semesters. In-state students with ACT 30 and 3.5 continue to have full tuition for 8 semesters, plus the $2500/year for Eng/CS. So in order to gain Presidential Scholarship as OOS student (fall 2017) would need ACT 32 and GPA 3.5 - can study any major. Will see what engineering will do with their scholarships.

UA has built up undergrad student body. Moving forward, more attention will be made by administration to strengthen graduate programs/student body.

Savvy parents and students understand that incoming freshman scholarships are key. Very few schools have much for transfer students.

OP may also not be aware (since posting in UAB and UA) that there are three campuses each with own President but all under UA System - UA (Tuscaloosa, the largest and state flagship), UAB (Birmingham), and UAH (Huntsville). All well run IMHO.

· Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity