Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UMass Amherst or U of O?

kkristen12kkristen12 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
edited April 2013 in University of Oregon
Hey,
So I am having a really hard time deciding between the University of Massachusetts Amherst and the University of Oregon. I live in Eugene OR right now, so I would like to move away but I feel like the University of Oregon is a nicer school to attend. I will be studying premed while in college.
I was accepted to UMass Amherst as a premed major, and the U of O as a Biology major. UMass gave me $18,000 in scholarships, so I woul dhave to make up the difference as an out-of-state student which would be about $18,000 left for me to pay. Whereas as the U of O, they also gave me $18,000 but I would only have to pay $5,000.

What do you think? Which one sounds like the better choice?
Post edited by kkristen12 on

Replies to: UMass Amherst or U of O?

• 'rentof2'rentof2 Registered User Posts: 4,327 Senior Member
    Have you been to UMass Amherst? I certainly do not want to denigrate it in any way, and I know it is the top school in the UMass system. I'm sure it's great and has a ton to offer the students that attend. And I have not had direct academic experience with it myself or vicariously through my kids, but I have been on campus and you are right that UO is a much nicer environment. More beautiful, certainly, and with a gentler feeling about it.

On the other hand, I totally relate to the interest in going somewhere away from home if you have the opportunity. I guess I'd say that before accepting the admission offer from UMass, if you are interested in doing so, find a way to visit first... assuming you haven't already. That would be the most important missing piece in the decision-making process.
  • cusingacusinga Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    U of O is more student friendly than UMass. Smaller in size with solid academics for a premed major. I understand the desire to go away. However, you could study abroad for a semester, summer, or year with the money that you will save in tuition and travel costs. Good luck.
  • MitchKreybenMitchKreyben Registered User Posts: 439 Member
    If you can afford it. Go away to school. You won't regret it.
This discussion has been closed.