Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A Tough Chance

BernieMadoffBernieMadoff Registered User Posts: 207 Junior Member
edited December 2011 in University of Pennsylvania
I know it's pretty late...but Penn's deadline got pushed back so why not.
I really don't think I have much of a chance at all, and other people agree. It's just tough because I feel on certain levels I'm pretty competitive with avg person at Penn but on others I look horrible

I'm applying to SEAS, systems science & engingeering
White male from Pa, schools sends 1 or 2 kids per year usually to Penn
ACT: 34
SAT II: Math I 800 Math II 800 BioE 750 Physics 780
Class rank: top 5% of little over 500
gpa: 3.6ish :/

I've taken the most rigorous courseload at my school possible all science AP's possible
I have alot of scientific and math related things
Sophomore year my gpa was bad, however I took calc 1 and calc 2 at local college and received A's in both classes, this doesn't count towards gpa

This year im taking multivariable calculus at a reputable university in the fall semester, next semester most likely differential equations or some higher level math thing as well as Lin Alg

Over the summer I attended a well known prestigious math program that I have a additional rec from

My common app essay has been worked and reworked, I believe it is pretty good. My why penn essay I feel is very well done

I have standard awards (AP scholar, regional and state science competition awards and fbla and such)

I have alot of EC's as well as interesting hobbies that I included as well

Basically it's evident that my gpa will prevent me from getting into penn. My schools policy is very poorly designed and because of things outside of my reach I got like B's in gym and health. The GPA is also deflated with a 92-100 scale, alot of my b's are 90-91. Even though they say this is taken into account I'm dubious they care. Problem is my school has like only 1 actually really smart person in the top 10 due to the fact that band and chorus are automatic 100's and get factored in, so that too ruins me. Do you think that I should save the 80$ and perhaps apply elsewhere?
Post edited by BernieMadoff on

Replies to: A Tough Chance

• mrunderdogmrunderdog - Posts: 532 Member
    I would say solid chance, the only thing holding you back is your gpa.
  • caralarmcaralarm Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    I think you should apply. If your only Bs are in gym and health, they probably won't even be factored into your GPA when Penn looks at it (schools usually re-calculate GPA using their own system). And having As in the college classes will look good, as will the test scores and everything else. So I think you can apply with some confidence. Good luck!
  • NickBarrNickBarr Registered User Posts: 250 Junior Member
    I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice to not apply. I can't say for sure that you will or will not get in, but I think with your background, you can put together an application that gives a favorable impression. The strength of your application and the job that you do of giving a good impression will be what determines whether or not you'll be here next year.

I'm interested in knowing more about your ECs. Not all of them, just the ones that you care most about.

Penn's math program is great. Have you done any specific research into it with regards to faculty, courses offered, etc.? If you do, you'll probably find out some useful information and be able to tie your passion for math with how you'd further that passion here at Penn.
  • BernieMadoffBernieMadoff Registered User Posts: 207 Junior Member
    Yeah my why penn essays deals heavily with applied mathematics and how the program at penn describes exactly what I want. I've looked into courses mostly to determine where I would be at given my credits already taken and such. It's really misleading the fact that the SEAS ed rate is above 25%, it doesn't factor in athletes and legacies, who usually apply early. I feel that not many people who are really really shooting high for penn dont apply to SEAS but CAS
  • goldandblue92goldandblue92 Registered User Posts: 556 Member
    Dude, just apply. The act score more than makes up for the gpa.
  • Aaffda4Aaffda4 Registered User Posts: 99 Junior Member
    Don't apply, you might be taking my spot!! JK

Seriously though, I think you have a very good chance, and have been taking very bad advice.

Even though I can't guarentee you'll get in, people telling you not to bother cause it's out of your league don't know what they're talking about.
  • BernieMadoffBernieMadoff Registered User Posts: 207 Junior Member
    is it harder to get into CAS or SEAS. From my experience I know a lot of nonqualified kid apply to CAS ED as a dream, in contrast only usually people who want to do engineering apply to SEAS, so is the admit rate convoluted
  • Jazmine1423Jazmine1423 Registered User Posts: 451 Member
    Penn doesn't recalculate GPA. But I think you would have a solid chance. Did you apply early decision?
This discussion has been closed.