Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Penn 2017 ED Discussion Thread

Replies to: Penn 2017 ED Discussion Thread

• Brookie17Brookie17 Registered User Posts: 205 Junior Member
    I m just suggesting that you probably should have all the application material gathered and ready to go towards the end of October. If you have completed everything, testing, recs, essays, etc. by september, you can still use the extra time to really polish up everything.

I said Oct. 31st (assuming you are doing your Common Application and UPenn supplements online) because you might bump into some last minute troubles (e.g. internet problems, maybe overwhelming amounts of traffic on nov 1st bc of the deadline, although its unlikely to happen its good to be safe) :)

If you think sending your application in sooner would give you an advantage, read on. If not, that will be all.

i am sorry to say that that's not true. Unless the school has an rolling admission, sending in your application early would not do you any good, and the last time I checked UPenn doesnt have rolling admissions. Sending your application in before the deadline will not mean it would be read sooner, you will not receive your decision sooner, nor will you be more likely to get in. If that was true there's not much point of having a deadline anymore, and everybody would be trying to send in their applications earlier.
  • moltobene18moltobene18 Registered User Posts: 66 Junior Member
    ^ Thanks for clarifying
  • focus08focus08 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 132 Junior Member
    @45 Percenter,

Thanks for that information! Sorry for taking you seriously!

My school counselor says we have NOT been blacklisted. I emailed my Regional Admission Officer, and he hasn't replied for over a month now. I regret emailing him because I thought I was too direct... I asked him about the blacklist in my first mail to him. X_X

I'll probably fire another email to him, but I'm not sure what I should write about.

Thanks

P.S.:- DAT SAT!!
  • 45 Percenter45 Percenter Registered User Posts: 4,273 Senior Member
    ^ You might just want to tell him/her that you've confirmed with your school counselor that the school hasn't been blacklisted by Penn (kind of close the loop on that), and that you're looking forward to applying to Penn ED (if that's what you've decided to do). Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it!

Good luck! :)
  • focus08focus08 User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 132 Junior Member
    @45 Percenter,

Thanks for your answer! It's made me much more confident!
  • PoemePoeme Registered User Posts: 1,329 Senior Member
    Actually, applying earlier makes it more likely that you will get an interview. Interviews are not weighted too heavily in the process since they are not guaranteed, but they can only help.
  • disgradiusdisgradius Registered User Posts: 441 Member
    I wouldn't necessarily say that interviews can only help. If you get a glowing review, adcoms just kinda pass it over. They only take serious note if the interviewer discovers something not on the application or finds out you're a deranged psychopath.
  • TsukirinTsukirin Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    Wow, seeing this thread makes everything seem 140% more realistic.

I hope everyone on here makes it! :D
  • psychedeliapsychedelia Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    Applying ED to Wharton. Rather excited, slightly nervous, sweating over essays, etc.

Good luck (and virtual brownies) to everyone!
  • AspirareAspirare Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    ED TO LSM and Ben Frankin Scholars. Sooooo nervousssssssssssssss
  • bosox17bosox17 Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    Yeah disgradius, I was thinking of doing the same majors as you. How's the workload? And how many classes are you taking per semester with that double major?
  • disgradiusdisgradius Registered User Posts: 441 Member
    Just 6 actually, most of my electives were in polisci anyways so I decided to just pick up the second degree. You do have to do all the college requirements on top of the wharton ones though which is kinda annoying. Workload is pretty meh. Never got really busy but then again I work pretty fast and test well. If you pay attention during class you can get away with minimal studying, I usually only do like 6 hours the night before a midterm. Only do required homework and crap on regular nights so still plenty of free time (like 8-10 hours of twiddling my thumbs per day lolz).

Only thing you ever have to worry about is curved courses. It's better to go through and make sure you have a solid understanding of the fundamentals rather than do a bunch of review or practice tests (although one or two will help). Beating the curve usually isn't about working more than others but studying the right material. Polisci does have a ton of reading but you learn to skim. Most of the books you read are 1/10 actual concepts and 9/10 fluff and examples.
  • dfree124dfree124 - Posts: 3,712 Senior Member
    bump

10char
  • Leggomyeggo990Leggomyeggo990 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    If I take the SATs again in November does anyone know if they'll receive that score? (I'm applying ED)
  • dfree124dfree124 - Posts: 3,712 Senior Member
    Yea, they will receive them. Check this out for more info Penn Admissions: Penn's Admissions Timetable
This discussion has been closed.