Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What are my chances for Penn?

Millerl17Millerl17 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
edited November 2012 in University of Pennsylvania
Hi, I'm a Penn ED applicant and I was wondering if you guys could chance me for admission to Penn. Thanks!

ACT: 34
SAT II: Bio M-770 Spanish Lit-700 Chem-620
Unweighted GPA: 3.9
Top 5% of class (I assume, our school doesn't rank)
Senior year classes: AP Bio, AP Euro, AP Econ, AP Spanish, Honors Calc, Honors English, International Foods (elective), Gym
AP Scores so far: Just Psych, 5

Extracurriculars:
Boys Cross Country- Varsity 3 years, captain senior year
Karate, Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai Kickboxing- I have been participating since I was 5 (so for about 12 years)
National Honors Society- Grades 11 and 12 (our school inducts in 11th grade), Secretary during grade 12
DECA- two-year state finalist in my event
Transition project ambassador- I help freshmen acclimate to high school
I stayed at Penn during the summer of 2011 for a 3-week summer program

Work Experience:
I have worked at my karate school since January 2011
I refereed soccer games in my town for 3 years, after passing the necessary test

Volunteering:
I went to Costa Rica for 9 days this summer to help clean up and plant trees and crops in a small town
I volunteered at a special needs soccer clinic during my sophomore year for about 5 weeks

Essays:
My common app essay was not bad, I wrote about how i taught myself how to cook and how that has shaped me as a person
"Move" Essay- I wrote about how I was a mover, and how I would help others move by developing treatments and/or cures for neurological diseases (I want to major in Bio Bases of Behavior, I am mainly interested in neurology)
Engage academically essay- I wrote about how I would love to take advantage of the resources of Penn at the HUP, and how I already knew the city since I had spent 3 weeks over the summer there

Recommendations:
My 2 teacher recommendations were probably pretty good, they were both from teachers who really liked me and knew me as a person. One of the teachers was the person who piqued my interest in neurology
My guidance counselor also knew me pretty well, so I assume her recommendation was also pretty decent

Interview:
Pretty good I think, my interview started off kinda slowly but by the end, my interviewer was happy, as she had talked a lot in response to my questions, and she said I would fit in well at Penn and she would put in a good word for me.

Thanks!
Post edited by Millerl17 on

Replies to: What are my chances for Penn?

This discussion has been closed.